Publish to Frontpage problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ~¢makey$, Nov 9, 2003.

  1. ~¢makey$

    ~¢makey$ Guest

    I have been using Frontpape 2000 for some time now. A few of the servers I
    have web site on did not have Frontpage extensions so I would save as html
    and use Cute ftp to upload it to the server. Now all of the servers I use
    will support Frontpage extentions. The problem I discover while attempting
    to do this is that frontpage tries to upload all of my webpages on the
    computer to one server. How do I keep this from happening? The below
    example is how the web pages are stored under my hardrive. It will try to
    download all nine of them to one server, instead of nine different servers
    as I have them now.
    Thanks
    PS Today, I upgraded to Frontpage 2003 and it does the same thing.
    Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Webs
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Webs\website1
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Webs\website2
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Webs\website3
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Webs\website4
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Webs\website5
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Webs\website6
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Webs\website7
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Webs\website8
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Webs\website9

    ~¢makey$, Nov 9, 2003

  2. ~¢makey$

    Brian H¹© Guest

    ~¢makey$ said:
    Er, I don't think you know what a server is, do you?

    Your pages are being uploaded to multiple folders, not multiple servers.
    The server is the host site, as in, the site that "serves" your pages.
    Learn about html rather than use the lazy "MS (paint by numbers) FrontPage".

    Brian H¹©, Nov 9, 2003

  3. ~¢makey$

    JabberSmith Guest

    Try this:

    Open FrontPage (let it connect to whatever it wants)
    Go to "Tools"
    then "Options"
    In the "General" Tab, uncheck "Open Last Web Automatically when Opened"

    Also, do not use the "Publish" button on the toolbar. Instead, always go to
    "File" then "Publish Web". The publish button's characteristics is not to
    ask you what web, but rather use the last one you published to.

    JabberSmith, Nov 9, 2003
  4. ~¢makey$

    pcbutts1 Guest

    FP needs to index those sites since it never actually published to those
    site. It will take a while but follow Jabersmith's advice and you should be
    ok.

    pcbutts1, Nov 10, 2003
  5. ~¢makey$

    ~¢makey$ Guest

    thank you JabberSmith & pcbutts1, I will try that. When Frontpage indexes
    these sites now, will it still try and upload all on one? I will check that
    out following your advice.

    ~¢makey$, Nov 10, 2003
  6. ~¢makey$

    JabberSmith Guest

    FrontPage will upload all the files in the logical "web site". FrontPage
    defines a "web site" as a folder and files and any folders under that (an so
    on) unless the folder is specified as a sub web.

    It sounds like you have a root web and several sub webs.

    Each sub web should be published and handled separately (indeed, that is the
    purpose of a sub web).

    FrontPage does not "make an index" rather, depends on you knowing how best
    to manage your site, when to move individual files, when to publish the
    whole thing, etc.

    It sounds to me like you only have a vauge idea how to handle your sites,
    you should sit down and spend some time working out a procedure for making
    updates and then stick with it. You risk losing work if you do not pay
    close attention to how you process updates.

    JabberSmith, Nov 10, 2003
  7. ~¢makey$

    ~¢makey$ Guest

    Jabbersmith,
    These are three different sites that are an example, the third site is a
    site that is now for experimentation because the site owner moved to a
    different state and he hasn't figured out what he wants to do with it if
    anything. Anyway, if I publish to the http://www.captainyellow.com/ site,
    it will transfer all the information from the other ones to the
    captainyellow site. I mean everything, all pictures, html, doc files or
    whatever else resides under the other sites folder on my harddrive. I would
    only want the captainyellow to captainyellow and the same for the rest.
    Before attempting this, as stated earlier I would save the web pages under
    their respective directories and upload via cute ftp and that worked without
    any problems except for the pain of extra step to accomplish. I just
    thought it would be easier (and it should be) to do directly from FrontPage
    and eliminated cute ftp. I suspect that maybe my explanation of what I am
    trying to do isn't quite clear. If I understand your feedback, I should
    have multiple logical "web sites" with folders under it as sub web. If I am
    way off base, hit me with the "FrontPage for dummies" explanation. Anyway,
    in any case thanks for what you have done so far.

    http://sonsamlegion38.netfirms.com
    http://mnsaldistrict2.netfirms.com
    http://www.captainyellow.com/

    ~¢makey$, Nov 10, 2003