PS2 top roller-ball mouse, need 6 pin to USB cable.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Crazy88, Jun 8, 2006.

  1. Crazy88

    Crazy88 Guest

    My desk at work is clutered beyond repair.
    I am currently using a USB optical mouse.

    I took out the garbage yersterday and
    found the remenance of an old PS2.

    Found an old Microsoft IntelliMouse
    Trackball (serial and PS2 compatible).

    Mouse is stationary, roller ball on top, left
    button on side, right button on top next to ball.

    This would work perfect for my world of the
    'paper chase'. Mouse always in one place.

    But, mouse has a round 6 pin male connector.
    Is the any where I can find a 6 pin to USB
    converter cable?? I have Googled and Googled.

    Any help?? is there such an 'animal'??

    Please help. Thanks in advance.

    Crazy88

    Crazy88, Jun 8, 2006

  2. Crazy88

    Evan Platt Guest

    I believe so. Try a local computer shop.

    Or even better, with the price of mice today, go and buy a USB mouse.
    I've seen em as cheap as $5.

    Evan Platt, Jun 9, 2006

  3. Crazy88

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Crazy88 spewed forth:
    I don't know what's wrong with YOUR Google skills, but you sure are missing
    the boat -
    Results 1 - 10 of about 4,140,000 for ps2 to usb converter.

    First try has 4 MILLION hits. The very first one on the list is less than a
    buck US$.
    http://www.centrix-intl.com/?DirectBuy=yes&ItemPartNumber=PS2-USB&source=froogle

    However, the trackball must be USB compatible for that one to work. So you
    probably need one that is just a little more expensive:
    http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=AA22040

    Now...about those web searching lessons...when do you want to start, and how
    much are you willing to pay?

    Toolman Tim, Jun 9, 2006
  4. Crazy88

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Evan Platt spewed forth:
    Evan, for once your reading comprehension is slightly below average. They
    don't WANT a mouse - they want their TRACKBALL to work: stationary device
    that works better with over-cluttered desktops.

    Unfortunately, a decent trackball always seemed to cost more than a decent
    mouse. Go figure.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 9, 2006
  5. Crazy88

    Zitty Guest

    Haven't you got a PS2 socket on your PC?

    Zitty, Jun 9, 2006
  6. Crazy88

    Evan Platt Guest

    I read the message fine. I should have stated TRACKBALL mouse, but
    still, I've seen generic trackballs for $5 - $10.

    Evan Platt, Jun 9, 2006
  7. I'd like to know that myself. Unless there is some overwhelming
    reason it's just gotta be USB?

    The Old Sourdough, Jun 9, 2006
  8. Crazy88

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In The Old Sourdough spewed forth:
    A lot of the new systems I've been seeing have no PS2 ports. One of them
    didn't even have serial or parallel ports. I had to put a PCI card in the
    system so he could keep using his old printer.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 9, 2006
  9. Crazy88

    Crazy88 Guest

    No, there is no PS2 port on my laptop. Only
    USB. Overwhelming enough??

    Crazy88, Jun 9, 2006
  10. Crazy88

    Evan Platt Guest

    I have a compaq desktop at home.. And I'm pretty sure I remember when
    I bought it that a serial port was "$$ extra". So of course, I
    declined the 'upgrade'. Years later, I needed a serial port. So I
    looked in the back to see where I could possibly add one. Lo and
    behold, where normally serial and parallel ports are, is a 'cover'
    held in by a few screws. Very nicely 'hidden' (black panel, black
    screws). I unscrew them, and viola... Serial port. I plug a device in,
    no luck. Device manager shows no serial ports. Reboot machine go into
    bios, enable serial port, boom, we're in business. :-D

    Evan Platt, Jun 9, 2006
  11. Crazy88

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Evan Platt spewed forth:
    Heh! I found a modem inside a laptop that way once. The parts were
    installed, but there was a cover over the jack. I guess it was cheaper to
    disable the modem in the software and pop a cap over it ;)

    Toolman Tim, Jun 9, 2006
  12. Crazy88 mumbled incoherently in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    Weelll, that's a pretty good reason, but, in your original post, you didn't
    say it was a laptop, and you also didn't state that you had no PS2 port.

    Anyway, one of those adapters for about 99 cents is what you need. Your
    trackball may work OK with it. If not, spend a little more and buy a new
    trackball. I haven't used anything but for the last five or six years, and
    if somebody laid a plain old vanilla mouse in front of me, I probably
    wouldn't know how to use it. :)

    Trackballs are a necessity for me, anyway, since I haven't seen the top of
    my desk for about three years now. ;-p

    The Old Sourdough, Jun 10, 2006
  13. Crazy88

    ProfGene Guest

    Why don't you just by a new trackball mouse?

    ProfGene, Jun 13, 2006