    Well both seem to be down around $400. But which can be most easily
    "made" to do other things....? Divx ?

    Eh ?

    Lukagain, Jul 9, 2003

  2. Lukagain

    Bruce Flyger Guest

    In terms of "hackability" you can't beat an XBOX. There's plenty of
    sites around that are dedicated to both hardware and software mods.

    http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net
    http://www.xboxhackz.com

    Because an XBOX issentially just a PC, there's not much you can't do
    when you know how.

    Bruce Flyger, Jul 9, 2003

  3. Gee even a Idiot like me knows that..

    Master Tech ©, Jul 9, 2003

  4. And the Software Hack is Free, & no Soldering.-:)

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10332

    Link to it

    http://lists.netsys.com/pipermail/full-disclosure/2003-July/010895.html

    Master Tech ©, Jul 9, 2003
  5. From what I have read, that will not allow you to boot copied games on the xbox.

    Would love to be proven wrong tho.

    And its so nice to see microsofts sloppy code come back and bite them in the ass

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Jul 9, 2003
  6. Lukagain

    StuM Guest

    I dont think so. Does a PS2 have a harddrive? Built in network port? No, but
    the Xbox does.
    Yeah and how many hundreds is that?
    Xbox is in no way crippled for modding, what a silly answer. On my Xbox i've
    put a mod chip in, can run any game from the 120gb hardrive installed in it.
    Can watch avi's, mpgs etc through the telly with the media player. I can
    plug my xbox into my switch and get online and play against others without
    MS Live (which isn't even in NZ and probably never will).
    Comparing a PS2 to an Xbox is like comparing a mini to the Merc, you can't.
    BTW the PS2 graphics are nothing compared to the Xbox's.

    StuM.

    StuM, Jul 9, 2003
  7. Lukagain

    cowboyz Guest

    Interesting to note that I did a little survey as to which to buy with my
    kids cause I was unsure so I hired an Xbox and a PS2 and guess which one
    won?

    Playstation hands down. The gfx were nice on the Xbox but I think the games
    seemed to be aimed at the "older" gamer.

    cowboyz, Jul 9, 2003
  8. Lukagain

    m00se Guest

    Agree with you there. My nephew finds the XboX controls too big for his
    hands for a start, not to mention too complicated.

    Personally I love the XboX, but those mates of mine who play GTA3: VC
    Love the PS2.

    Its a simple case of each to their own, and what console provides better
    support for the games you like to play.

    m00se, Jul 10, 2003
  9. Lukagain

    m00se Guest

    Which comes at an addtional expense.

    I love my nephew, but not enough to buy him a controller of his own when
    he comes over and jumps on my xbox :)

    m00se, Jul 10, 2003
  10. Lukagain

    Mark. Guest

    The Xbox has been shipping since May this year with the S model
    controller.

    Mark., Jul 10, 2003
  11. Lukagain

    Rob King Guest

    Wait for the new Sony PSX :)~~~~~.

    PS2 engine with 120Gb HDD, DVD burner, TV tuner.

    Of course, you'll be waiting a few months as it's being release in Japan in
    December. :)

    Rob King, Jul 10, 2003
  12. Lukagain

    PJ Lee Guest

    How old are the kids?
    If you have young kids and you haven't yet purchase the PS2, do consider
    GameCube...
    it's alot more 'child friendly' than the other 2 consoles.
    GameCube is alot less popular but it does have a wider range of games for
    kids ( puzzles, non violent platforms..) which, IMO, are more suitable to
    keep the young ones busy.

    just my 2c :)

    PJ Lee, Jul 10, 2003
  13. Why? do they not sell you the console and let you take it home with you?
    Without physical security all bets are off

    Nathan Mercer, Jul 10, 2003
  14.
    Master Tech ©, Jul 10, 2003
  15. Didn't they say that about the PS2?

    Phillip Weston, Jul 10, 2003
  16. Why, do they not let you take it home with you when you buy it?

    Nathan Mercer, Jul 11, 2003
  17. Lukagain

    k y l e Guest

    No, I've played the Xbox version. I saw the PC Demo of it on PC Gameworld
    and thought about downloading it to compare. Minimum system requirements for
    that game on pc are quite steep. What are your specs? Vid card etc?

    Personally I think titles like WRC and Colin MCRae are much better than
    Rallisport Challenge but that's probably my spite out of having my ass
    caned! :-((

    Halo looks like utter shit. Plasticine walls, grey splotches. Compare that
    to Unreal 2. Go close up to a wall - looks like a real wall. Load times
    aren't too bad either. No fluffing about if you've got a no cd crack from
    gamecopyworld.
    You can get good value upgrade kits (including reasonable video cards) for
    close to that price if you go shopping around nz online stores. But
    admittedly you've got to already have much of your gear and stick it all in
    (hdd/ cd/dvdrom / monitor etc). I look at it from the opposite point of
    view. Spend a couple of hundred bucks more than the $400 for a console and
    get a lot more entertainment bang for your buck all round. I know a mate who
    has a PlayStation 2 and you can tell he'd LOVE to have a pc to check email,
    surf the web, download some porn, do a bit of gaming, watch some movies,
    listen to mp3s, all the things a growing Kiwi Lad would love to do on a pc.
    But he's stuck with his console. The upside is he loves driving games, and
    they are better served on console than on a pc. But he kinda wishes he spent
    money on a pc instead, but now he's paying off his Playstation2 that he paid
    over $1200 for (will be a lot more than that once the interest is accounted
    for). Maybe one day he will get one (probably when PS2 emulators come
    out...like seemingly never! :). I read we will need a pc to be at least 8ghz
    to successfully emulate the Emotion Engine. Sorry to drift off-topic, lol :)

    k y l e, Jul 11, 2003
  18. And its so nice to see microsofts sloppy code come back and bite them
    For the number of exploits that people have found, I dont think that there needs
    to much assumption.

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Jul 12, 2003
  19. Lukagain

    Dave Guest

    Wasn't the code leaked/stolen and that is why the bios on most modchips are
    illegal because they use this stolen code??

    Dave, Jul 12, 2003
  20. Lukagain

    T.N.O. Guest

    Really, most code writers seem to fcuk it up a lot of the time, you say
    MS, I say Linux/Trillian(sp?)/insert name of software company here... we
    are both right.

    Ms code may be sloppy, but I was right, it was an assumption.(really I
    did it because I figured that if you had seen the code, I knew that you
    would be unable to comment, but no-one picked up on that...)

    T.N.O., Jul 14, 2003