    connect fine but the PS2 refuses to connect.
    The router shows it's MAC address so it must be connected somehow.

    Any ideas greatly appreciated.

    geekmaster, Jun 4, 2004

  2. geekmaster

    MC Guest

    Your post is a little vague but I think your problem might be with the
    router setup. The best thing to do is assign your PS2 a reserved IP address
    in the router setup, then setup the port forwarding to that IP address. I
    did this & it worked fine although I hear comflicting things, some people
    say that putting the PS2 in the DMZ fixes problems, some don't need port
    forwarding. It depends on how secure the router is and what game you're
    playing. There's lots of set-up instructions on the internet for this
    scenario. Check you have been assigned an IP address by the router first!

    MC, Jun 4, 2004

  3. geekmaster

    tysonfam2004 Guest

    We had to do the same thing...was told by SONY...that you have to reset the
    modem after connecting it to the PS2 because the modem/router will give it a
    new ISP address. PS2 are a little tricky.

    tysonfam2004, Jun 4, 2004
  4. geekmaster

    Geeky Guest

    I'm still not getting it. I'm trying to get connected from the set-up
    disc but when I try the diagnostics bit it keeps failing.
    Firstly it wouldn't even connect to the network, now it does but fails
    on the DNS bit every time.
    Have tried auto DNS and entering the ones from my provider manually.

    Have entered the IP address, sub-net mask and gateway instead of using
    DHCP, though I'm not 100% sure the gateway number is correct, it was the
    one my router was showing on it's front page.

    I connect using Pipex so I have to use the Other selection in the first
    part of the set-up. If I choose a known supplier I can say that I
    connect through a router but in Other I'm not given that option.

    Geeky, Jun 5, 2004
  5. Go to http://ps2.paradise.net.nz
    There is support information to setup nearly every combination of
    connection you can think of.

    PS: on another note, remember the router acts as a firewall, therefore
    you have to allow access for the ps2 through it.. yeah yeah you are
    thinking. I'll explain... the ps2 should be allocated an internal IP
    address via DHCP by the router you are using. If DHCP is not enabled do
    it. The router gets it own address from you isp, you need to enable ip
    forwarding from your ps2 ip to the ip of the router. This process is
    called pinholeing.

    Peter Van Dijk, Jun 5, 2004
  6. The gateway ip address is the ip that your isp gives to the router.

    Peter Van Dijk, Jun 5, 2004