    mystery? URLs with a solution would be greatly appreciated.

    Regards,

    Fred

    Fred Atkinson, Nov 1, 2005

  2. Fred Atkinson

    anybody43 Guest

    after we pruned, the distant switch was
    VLAN pruning is intended to prevent Broadcast and
    Unknown traffic from being needlessly
    flooded along trunks in the case where the
    VLAN has no active ports on the far side of the trunk
    from the source of the traffic.
    In that case pruning would be inappropriate
    since the traffic is required to cross the link.

    For what it's worth I have never liked the idea
    anyway.

    - Few such links are likely in (most) well designed networks.
    - Process sounds complex and potentially
    problem prone.
    - I expect that few people use it so you will
    be a beta tester.

    Good for a class though, you need to know

    addressing (L2)
    learning
    forgetting
    forwarding decisions
    flooding
    vlans
    trunking
    more?

    If they can get their
    little heads well enough round this to correctly
    predict behaviour then they will be ahead of
    . . .
    some professors.<g>

    I doubt though if the educational potential
    was a consideration for Cisco when they
    spent the money to put it in.

    Maybe the VLAN Policy Server thing
    was put in just for such an eventuality too?
    I suspect that it though has gone.

    anybody43, Nov 1, 2005