Proxim ORiNOCO PC GOLD CARD with antenna problem??!!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guy Smith, Mar 13, 2005.

  1. Guy Smith

    Guy Smith Guest

    Hello,

    I have a Proxim ORiNOCO PC GOLD WIRELESS LAPTOP CARD 802.11b card with a
    pigtail. There is nothing wrong with it as it works fine without an external
    aerial but I am having problems getting it to work with the antenna that I
    purchased. It is a D-Link 5dB wireless antenna. I rigged up an adaptor to go
    between the two. When I connect this all to the card it looses connection.
    Do I need an antenna particular to the Orinoco card? (I am a newbie to
    this - see my next question??!!)

    Another thing confusing me is; that when I connected it all up I did a
    continuity test to make sure that the outer coaxial wire was not in contact
    with the core wire, I found that with the MC connector on the pigtail the
    outside i.e. coaxial is in contact with the core wire. Is this correct? Or
    could this be the whole problem?

    Guy Smith, Mar 13, 2005

  2. Guy Smith

    DLink Guru Guest

    More then likely its your rigged up connector that is the problem.

    DLink Guru, Mar 13, 2005

  3. Guy Smith

    Guy Smith Guest

    I have done a continuity test on it and it is fine - no leakage between the
    coaxial covering and the main centre wire - that's the first thing I
    checked.

    Guy Smith, Mar 14, 2005
  4. Guy Smith

    Guy Smith Guest

    Solved it! It was the MC connector into the Wireless card. It was loose
    hence loosing connection. Apparently the done thing is to strap the
    connector and wire to the card with a strip of Velcro.

    I would ask - Why not supply MC jack cards with a securing system??!!

    Guy Smith, Mar 19, 2005