  1. Mike

    YAG-ART Guest

    Well if you could hack the firmware, I'm sure you could do it.

    YAG-ART, Nov 13, 2004

  2. Mike

    YAG-ART Guest

    If your holding it over your head you can see though it, holding it at
    arms length any other way would be unwieldy.

    YAG-ART, Nov 13, 2004

  3. Mike

    Charlie Self Guest

    Alfred Molon notes:
    Has it occured to you to check out a different scanner to see how it does.

    Charlie Self
    "It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of
    common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever
    ineligible for public office." H. L. Mencken

    Charlie Self, Nov 13, 2004
  4. Mike

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Dudes, everyone's needs are different. In fact we al have different needs
    at different times. My CP-990 does things neither my CP-5700 nor D70 can
    do, and all the way around full circle. As such, I still make use of all
    three in the specific situations they excel at.

    Chill.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Nov 13, 2004
  5. Mike

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Well, I posted this here months ago already. The scanner is quite good -
    a Nikon unit with 4000 or 5400 dpi with ICE (can't remember exactly
    which one), so it shouldn't be the culprit.
    It's essentially the lens which is responsible for the low resolution of
    the slides. But what can you expect from a cheap 28-200 zoom lens.
    At least a decent prosumer digital camera comes with a lens which is
    matched to pass a sufficiently sharp image to the CCD.

    Alfred Molon, Nov 13, 2004
  6. Mike

    Harvey Guest

    - assuming you could make a transparent mirror in software that is.

    Harvey, Nov 13, 2004
  7. Mike

    YAG-ART Guest

    It doesnt sound like a lens issue. The lens has zero effect on the
    resolution you scan at. It could have been an expoure problem in the
    camera, or bad film, the scanner not setup correctly.

    YAG-ART, Nov 13, 2004
  8. Mike

    Chris Brown Guest

    Focal length is no big deal - I can't even remember the last time I used a
    zoom lens. For me, the advantage of a DSLR is that it allows creative
    control over things such as depth of field, and lets me use nice fast primes
    with decent, contrasty performance and good bokeh. Often these things make
    the difference between a snapshot and a photograph.
    Odd - I wasn't aware of any consumer digicams with a circular CCD.

    Chris Brown, Nov 13, 2004
  9. Mike

    Chris Brown Guest

    SLRs are generally horrible designs to hand-hold. The potruding lens
    (remember, any wide-angle lens on an SLR has to be retrofocal, to clear that
    mirror box), and the mirror slap mean that they are quite prone to
    camera-shake. There are much better camera designs around, if hand-holding
    is your goal. Rangefinders are good, but the best sort of camera I've used
    for hand-held stuff has to be the venerable TLR. I've taken handheld stuff
    on a TLR at 1/30th which produces razor-sharp prints even at A3.

    Chris Brown, Nov 13, 2004
  10. Mike

    Chris Brown Guest

    Compare and contrast with a low-resolution (and therefore useless for
    focusing), improperly white balanced image, probably taken with the sensor
    set to the equivalent of about 12800 ISO in incandescent conditions, with
    slow, jerky update, using apperture and shutter speed settings which a) you
    don't know, and b) are unlikely to be anything close to the ones you use to
    take the actual picture.

    Yeah, I'm sold.

    Chris Brown, Nov 13, 2004
  11. Mike

    Chris Brown Guest

    I would have thought that most cameras would show the preview using the
    aperture wide-open, so that the sensor can collect sufficient light to
    maintain a non headache-inducing framerate. As a result, they're no better
    for showing actual depth of field than an SLR, other than by the happy
    conincidence that these cameras suffer from the opposite problem that large
    format cameras have with DoF - they almost always have too much.

    Chris Brown, Nov 13, 2004
  12. Mike

    YAG-ART Guest

    You wouldn't need to, only make the mirror move out of the way

    YAG-ART, Nov 13, 2004
  13. Mike

    Mike Guest

    You just need more lessons on composition, then you'll find out you
    They also shoot 300 pictures to pick out the one that happened to come
    out --
    that doesn't look very nice at weddings...

    Mike, Nov 13, 2004
  14. Mike

    YAG-ART Guest

    Have you ever shot a wedding??

    YAG-ART, Nov 13, 2004
  15. Mike

    Pepys Guest

    You might like to grab a DSLR and try one for a week or so Mike. You may
    well be surprised at the benefits you will notice.

    I own and use a Canon PowerShot Pro1 and am very happy with the images I get
    from it when photographing stationary subjects. It is a bit of a bother
    trying to use the Pro1 to photograph children, wildlife, or anything else on
    the move for that matter.

    I recently purchased a 20D, used it for nearly a month but traded it because
    I was dissapointed I could not get the image sharpness I require, even when
    using some very classy L series lenses. I've noticed a significant number of
    the 20D images posted to pbase are quite soft.

    Last week I traded down to a Nikon D70 (have a D100 at work) after 5 days of
    using a borrowed one, and now get the sharpness I am after, even when using
    some pretty ordinary lenses like the 28 - 80 kit lens.

    Tests I have been doing over the past month or so clearly indicate it is
    almost a waste of time using anything but RAW when shooting a DSLR if you
    are seeking sharp, well exposed images.

    I was more than a little surprised with the difference between images taken
    with the Pro1 compared with the D70. Nikon images are just as sharp but seem
    to be more "normal" and better saturated as opposed to having a vaguely
    "digitised" feel from the Pro1.

    If you're serious about your photography, don't become a brand zealot - keep
    an open mind and try anything you are offered.

    Sam

    Pepys, Nov 13, 2004
  16. Mike

    JohnR Guest

    Why can't I simply press a button on the 20D that will lock-up the mirror
    <stuff snipped>

    The reason you can't use the screen as a live preview is due to the sensor
    itself. The sensors are actually simpler than in the compact cameras with
    the tiny sensors. The small sensors have circuitry at each photosite to
    allow for interline transfer. All this means they are capable of live
    previews and video capabilities. the SLR sensors don't have this. Without
    the extra circuitry at each photosite, the light sensitive cell can be
    larger and thus, capture more photons for a given EV. This plus the larger
    sensor size means the DSLR will generate far less noise - especially at
    higher ISOs.
    John

    JohnR, Nov 13, 2004
  17. Mike

    JohnR Guest

    Also, the DSLRs tend to have an image quality that looks less oversharpened
    and processed.
    John

    JohnR, Nov 13, 2004
  18. Mike

    Skip M Guest

    Skip M, Nov 13, 2004
  19. Mike

    Skip M Guest

    After a while, you'll never miss it.

    Skip M, Nov 13, 2004
  20. Mike

    Annika1980 Guest

    Look at the bright side of it. You won't look like a dork holding your camera
    away from you at arm's length.

    Annika1980, Nov 13, 2004