    transferred to the next one and so on, without the need to create a
    separate transmission line. In any case, DSLRs also use CCDs, so the
    reading principle should be the same.

    Alfred Molon, Nov 15, 2004

  2. Mike

    YAG-ART Guest

    The newer Canon DSLR's use a CMOS sensor, not a CCD

    YAG-ART, Nov 16, 2004

  3. Mike

    Skip M Guest

    As does the newest Nikon.

    Skip M, Nov 16, 2004
  4. Mike

    Alfred Molon Guest

    How do they read out the data ? Can they directly address each
    individual pixel ?

    Alfred Molon, Nov 16, 2004
  5. - and higher noise on ISO 200 and 400
    - and much lower top ISO speed
    - and a longer shutter delay

    You can.
    Because the sensor in a SLR is not designed to privide a video
    preview. There are at least two reasons for this:

    - the circuitry to do video preview takes up space on the chip,
    which adds complexity and cost;
    - with a video preview, charge has to be drained away from the
    sensor wells before the sensor is primed to capture an image;
    this takes time - making the camera less responsive;

    As Mike writes. The mirror isn't the problem - it can be locked-up.
    The "problem" is the design used for the larger sensors used in
    dSLRs.
    Maybe - but so far, I know of no large sensor that is capable
    of video preview. I guess there is a reason for this design
    decision.

    Gisle Hannemyr, Nov 16, 2004
  6. Mike

    Owamanga Guest

    As do the newest disposable digital cameras. So?

    Owamanga, Nov 16, 2004
  7. Mike

    Chris Brown Guest

    No it doesn't. The price of the lens does not increase the longer you leave
    the lens cap off. HTH!

    Chris Brown, Nov 16, 2004
  8. Assuming your camera supports such a finder, and you can afford it.

    Michael Meissner, Nov 16, 2004
  9. In the prosumer class, just about every camera allows you to control the
    aperture. However, given the small sensors used in non-DSLR cameras, and the
    corresponding higher crop factor, you still get a much larger depth of field
    than you would with a DSLR. Sometimes you want a large depth of field,
    sometimes you don't.
    And that can usually be turned off. Mirror slap on the non-pro cameras on the
    other hand....

    Michael Meissner, Nov 16, 2004
  10. Mike

    bob Guest

    If you don't spend money on the lens, then no light will come through it.
    At least not into your camera ;-)

    It's just like watching television (in the USA). There is no incremental
    cost, but there is a fixed cost, and the fixed cost is an out of pocket
    cost.

    Bob

    bob, Nov 16, 2004
  11. Mike

    YAG-ART Guest

    I know Canon has one, I am sure Nikon does too. If you want to shoot
    something no standard your going to have to pay more.

    YAG-ART, Nov 16, 2004
  12. Just for fun, I quickly browsed B&H, and did not discover any such thing that
    would fit the 300D/digital rebel or the Nikon D70. Sure they make them for pro
    bodies, but not for the consumer cameras.

    Michael Meissner, Nov 17, 2004
  13. Mike

    Skip M Guest

    Skip M, Nov 17, 2004
  14. Mike

    YAG-ART Guest

    YAG-ART, Nov 17, 2004
  15. Mike

    Alan Meyer Guest

    Good point.

    My new "point and shoot" Pentax Optio 750Z has about 100 times
    as much control as the professional type twin lens reflex 6x6
    camera I bought in 1969.

    And for that matter, all of the film and digital SLRs now seem to
    work very well in point and shoot mode.

    Furthermore, many cameras that people do not classify as
    dSLR are in fact single lens reflex cameras in the sense that
    the user sees the image "through the lens" on an LCD on the
    back of the camera or through an electronic viewfinder.

    What people really mean by dSLR is interchangeable lens
    digital SLR cameras.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Nov 17, 2004
  16. Mike

    YAG-ART Guest

    Not a correct statement, the cameras that use and LCD preview don't
    have the reflex viewing system. SLR stands for Single Lens Reflex,
    and has nothing to do with interchangable leses.

    YAG-ART, Nov 17, 2004
  17. Mike

    Chris Brown Guest

    A TTL viewfinder does not an SLR make. There are plenty of cameras that have
    TTL viewing and are not reflex cameras (either SLRs or TLRs). In order to be
    a reflex camera, you need a mirror.

    Chris Brown, Nov 17, 2004
  18. Mike

    Ken Tough Guest

    Can you add optical Image Stabilisation to the Sony?

    Ken Tough, Nov 18, 2004
  19. They already did that - the Panasonic FZ20!

    <G>

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 18, 2004
  20. Mike

    Alfred Molon Guest

    See this photo:
    http://www.pbase.com/artnyc/image/14431386

    6MP full size being here:
    http://www.pbase.com/artnyc/image/14431386/original

    and also the others of the gallery. They don't make the D60 look great
    (lots of prosumers easily produce better images). My guess is that
    either something is wrong with the metering or the lens is the culprit.

    By the way, despite the relatively low ISO (200 is low for a DSLR),
    there is lots of visible colour noise in the sky.

    The other images are not much better. See this one:
    http://www.pbase.com/artnyc/image/14430588
    (top left totally blown out)

    Alfred Molon, Nov 18, 2004