Prosumer Long Zooms vs dSLR

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by VincentC, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. VincentC

    VincentC Guest

    The Olympus C-750 seems to get decent reviews. Several people pointed out
    that it ranked #1 by PC World. However, if you read the full review you will
    notice that ranking is not based on image quality. The camera gets 4 out of 5
    stars....there are other cameras listed there that get more stars...such as
    the Canon G5 and the Oly C-5050Z. The #1 ranking is a little misleading. All
    that said....it appears to be a pretty good camera overall. However, most
    people seem to love this camera because of it's very long zoom lens. I would
    like to have the long zoom, but that is not a priority for me. But it would
    be nice to use occasionally. How do the images of this camera compare to
    images of, say, the C-4000 or C-5050 or Canon G3/G5 at a normal focal length
    of say 50mm side by side?

    The same thing applies to the Nikon Coolpix 5700, except this camera costs a
    fortune for what it is. You could jump into the Canon Digital Rebel dSLR
    system for about the same cost.

    Lumix (Panasonic electronics with Leica optics) has just announced the
    FZ10....a 4MP successor to the successful 2MP FZ1. The FZ10 will also offer
    manual modes, unlike the FZ1. Both of these cameras feature a nice Leica 12X
    zoom with true Image Stabilization that actually works. You can take sharp
    pics at the long end of the zoom haldheld with little or no camera shake. And
    the maximum aperture is 2.8 throughout the entire zoom range. That is
    incredible. It will initially be offered for about $550 or $599. This should
    make the Oly C-7** series obsolete. I can't wait for the first pro review.
    Phil, are you reading this??????? Check it out:

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0310/03100201panasonicdmcfz10.asp

    The new Lumix seems like a dream camera if it peforms as well as a 4MP camera
    as the FZ1 did as a 2MP camera. With a lens that is the 35mm equivalent of
    35mm-420mm that is a constant 2.8, why would I even need a dSLR? You may
    say...for wide angle? Well, this camera has a wide adapter too. Besides,
    getting wide angles for dSLR is very expensive. I can not afford L glass at
    this time. To buy into the Canon 300d Digital Rebel system with the same range
    of focal lengths with such a maximum aperture would cost thousands if it is
    even possible.

    NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam. If this or other posts
    made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email

    VincentC, Oct 3, 2003

  2. wrote in
    Steve's Digicams has reviews of and sample images from the C-750, C-4000,
    C-5050, G3, and G5:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
    The 5700 has been out for a long time compared to the Digital Rebel, which
    just came out this month. The appearance of the Digital Rebel certainly
    makes the competition pale.
    If you've seen sample images from past Panasonic digicams, you'll
    understand that there's more to a good digicam than a great lens. Maybe
    this new Panasonic is better, but I need to see sample images first. Some
    people called the older Panasonic digicams' images "digital pointilism".
    The CMOS image sensor in the Digital Rebel is better than the CCDs in
    consumer digicams. It has very little noise at high ISO settings. The
    disadvantages to it are (1) you can't use the LCD for composing the image
    (it's for review only) and (2) you can't take movies.

    To email me, type my 1st name before my last.

    Tony Whitaker, Oct 3, 2003

  3. Panasonic cameras suck my cock.

    The Sperminator, Oct 3, 2003
  4. VincentC

    Charlie Ih Guest

    Thanks for sharing the information. I guess each company compromising
    differently. The CCD size of this camera is only 1/2.5", "extremely"
    small for a 4 MP camera. The CCD is more for a camcorder than for
    a digital camera. Most 4 MP cameras use 1/1.8" CCD, e.g. Canon S400,
    Nikon CP-4500, etc. So the area ratio of the two CCD's is about
    1:2. Based on the CCD size, the "inherent" true ISO must
    be less than 50. It really needs a faster lens to make it somewhat
    useful. I doubt that it can be used above ISO 200. On the other hand,
    DSLR's can have an "inherent" ISO to 1,600 and can be "pushed" to
    3,200 (Canon 10D) and 6,400 (Nikon D100). In addition there are
    lenses with f/1.4, f/2.0 and f/2.8, etc for these cameras. So it
    is difficult to compare these two different types of cameras.
    Each has its own uses.

    Charlie Ih, Oct 3, 2003
  5. VincentC

    bj286 Guest

    Long zoom is not as good as short zoom, zoom is not as good as prime lens.
    High sensitivity, fast focus, prime lens:
    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#slr
    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#wide

    bj286, Oct 28, 2003