ProShow Gold slow video import - slow can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Derek, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. Derek

    Derek Guest

    I have a number of shows which have been created last year (using
    version 2.5), these shows contain video (mpg) files. When I open these
    shows, Proshow Gold attempts to import the video files.

    The import of the video files takes a very long time. I am currently
    importing a 66
    Mb mpg file, which I used when the show was created. But the ProShow
    is still opening
    it up after 5 hours. - This really is too slow to be usable.

    Earlier I thought that it might be due to space resource or lack of
    memory. So:

    (i) I purchased an extra 200Gb hard drive installed it and placed all
    the videos on
    that.
    (ii) I also added an additional 500 Mb of RAM to the machine

    - but it still seems to run very slowly.

    I am running a 2.4 GHz CPU, and have atotla of 1Gb of RAM along with a
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 video card - so quite a good spec. I tested that
    the video files are all OK on the new drive, by opening each up in
    windows media player. They all get read instantly by media player and
    run fine.

    Looking at task manager, I notice that the prshow.exe process is
    (i) only using 132m of RAM and
    (ii) only using about 5% of the CPU.

    There are plenty of machine resources (memory, CPU and drive capacity)
    - have you
    any idea why this seems to run so slowly and what I can do to fix it?

    I recently upgraded to build 2.6 1745, but this seemed to be slow so I
    then upgraded
    again to build 1749 - which is still the same.

    I have contacted photodex support, but nothing from them as yet. I hope
    you can help,

    Many thanks,

    Derek

    Derek, Jan 8, 2006