    release, on a prebuilt, upgraded machine, without any problem other than
    being able to find the correct motherboard id for my system to update the
    bios so that I can use the Bit Locker feature. Thanks for your posts

    Harvey1953, Dec 8, 2007

  2. There's really no way to answer this. "Best" depends on your ability to do
    your homework (making sure there are drivers for all your hardware), your
    need for RAM, your programs, etc. Most of us here have been using and loving
    64bit Windows for quite a while. But we're also the kinds of users who
    choose our hardware carefully, knowing we're likely to be on the front edge.
    I run 64 bit because I need the RAM to run my VMs - my 4 main machines go
    from a 2 GB laptop that only runs 64bit Vista because I want to, up to a 16
    gb Server 2008 box running 8 - 12 VMs on it.

    Vista 64bit has somewhat better driver support, but it's still an
    environment where you need to do your homework and choose components
    carefully. But if you need >3GB of RAM, you really don't have a choice.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 9, 2007

  3. Harvey1953

    Jacob2000 Guest

    I have had windows vista home premium 64 bit for almost 6 months now, and
    overall, I really like it. If you get it, make sure to read the sections
    here about adding more than 3gb ram. You have to install the 2gb first,
    install windows vista, then use the windows vista64bit memory patch from
    microsofts website, and then install the last 2gb (or more if you are
    installing more than 4gb of ram).

    Keep in mind that some of your older hardware, such as printers, may not
    work with vista64bit. I recommend that you go, and figure out what hardware
    you are going to transfer to the new pc. After that, go to the
    manufacturer's websites, and research each component and see if there is any
    64bit drivers available, and see if there is in fact anything that that
    manufacturer hasnt enabled in the new 64bit drivers. For example, HP didnt
    update the scanner drivers on my printer/scanner, so it only prints now. I
    have to purchase a new Printer to get the 64bit drivers to work 100%.

    Do the same thing for your programs. For example, some antivirus programs,
    may not work without you buying a new 2008 version.

    Hope that this helps...

    Jacob2000, Dec 14, 2007