Propagating backup default routes via EIGRP for multiple Internet connections

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by steve_nsi, Dec 1, 2005.

  1. steve_nsi

    steve_nsi Guest

    I have four seperate sites all connected across an MPLS network and
    each has it's own seperate DSL Internet connection terminated by a
    firewall. I want to configure this so that when one Internet
    connection is down, the Internet traffic for that site is automatically
    re-routed through one of the other sites.

    I think I have everything setup correctly but the problem is, the Cisco
    routers on the provider's MPLS build out that I'm connecting to are
    outside of my control. I have tried to push the static routes through
    EIGRP since I am running EIGRP through those already but it doesn't
    seem to stick in the provider's routers.

    I can ping a remote router or firewall no problem. If I try to ping
    the Internet through a remote connection I get a TTL expired in transit
    from the near provider edge router. This behavior is consistant across
    all locations.

    What I'm trying to do seems simple but I cannot make it work.

    Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

    steve_nsi, Dec 1, 2005

  2. Sounds like you need to advertise a default route to the MPLS PE
    routers, using the same mechanism you use for the subnets that make
    up your internal network. Alternatively, have your MPLS provider
    route unknown destinations directly to the Internet (just make sure
    this is acceptable to your security needs, don't assume the MPLS
    provider will protect you from malicious attacks if you use them
    for Internet access).

    To get this to work automatically, you'll also need a mechanism to
    detect when your firewall has lost its DSL connection.

    Good luck and have fun!

    Vincent C Jones, Dec 5, 2005