    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Al, Acrobat is so damned slow and sluggish, have you tried any of the PDF alternatives out there? - Nope. I've only used Adobe Acrobat or Acrobat Reader.

    bigal, Jun 3, 2006

  2. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm gonna have to do some research into PDF alternatives, I know that MPC or CPU did a writeup on a couple of free ones a month or two ago, gotta go check the mags.

    Did either of ya look at ecwreborn.com? Any comments?

    Project update: Yeah, it's finished but I decided to add a couple of touches. That vent on the top of the P180 just made too perfect a ring entrance ramp so I built a ring curtain with a sign over it and mounted that to the back end of the vent and added some action figures. (I know, I didn't plan to do that but what the heck, it adds something to it). :)

    Pics of that maybe tomorrow.

    The Modfather, Jun 4, 2006

  3. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ok, da pics.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    The Modfather, Jun 5, 2006
  4. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    The glowing feet just add extra ownage effects :)

    How did u end up getting the light to shine through the Widow or should i say etch?

    unholy, Jun 5, 2006
  5. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Oh that window looks hot. And Nathan is right about the glowing feet. How about a picture of the inside showing the lighting effects for the window?

    bigal, Jun 5, 2006
  6. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    by the of the pictures i have seen of the inside, i think theres a Large amount of wires :p

    unholy, Jun 6, 2006
  7. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yeah, a lot of wires but not as bad as it was because I scrapped the Sunbeam Chameleon. That removed a total of 8 wires from the case.

    The lighting is done by first putting a piece of parchment paper (the kind you use for cooking, Cook's Club parchment paper to be exact) behind the etch and I used round CCFL's from fans to light it, two red, two blue, along with two Hyperlights cutting across the interior of the case. It's not ideal but at the time we didn't have any standard CCFL's to light it with white like I'd originally intended. I nnow have 4 white 15" CCFL's and 2 4"'ers but I am thinking about maybe getting a purple gel to cover those in and see how that looks because purple was the original plan for the light color. Only problem is (and this is one of the few flaws with the P180 case) there isn't enough room between the case side and the drive cages inside to mount ANY lighting at all. That's a major bummer.

    I'm surprised, that's the first pic I took of the thing where you see the lighted feet. I thought there were others but, oddly enough nope. :) Those were put on over a month ago.

    I think it's finally done, as in totally and completely and move on to the next project done. If you (Nathan) can score that review for me, that'd be the only other change to it before I put it into perminant use as my main rig.

    Next project will either be "Faktory Default" or "Zombie". Haven't decided quiet yet. Faktory Default will be a very low end system with a cost to build of under $300 (not including hardware, which will be only parts we have laying around) and will be built to sell only. Zombie will be my first AMD rig for my own use and will be built as I can afford to buy the parts for it.

    There's a mockup of Faktory Default on my site under the concepts worklog, none for Zombie though, that'll be a bit different. I'm going to borrow Al's idea for the hand coming out of the top of the thing and use some creative techniques for painting the case to make it look like either stone or earth or what not with the right side panel being airbrushed with Rob Zombie style art (think Hellbilly Deluxe cover).

    (Pic of cover here)
    [​IMG]

    Guts will be based around next gen AMD technology.

    The Modfather, Jun 7, 2006
  8. The Modfather

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    heh i haven't heard any of Hellbilly Deluxe for about 6 years. Sounds like a good plan. The ECW Case turned out damn nice, well done :)

    XhArD, Jun 8, 2006
  9. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks... I'm a big Rob Zombie fan, tend to listen to his CD's until they wear out, then have to buy them again. I think I'm on my third copy of Hellbilly Deluxe. :) Probably my 15th of White Zombie's three albums. (not counting remix albums).

    The Modfather, Jun 8, 2006
  10. The Modfather

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    I remember the last time I heard Hellbilly Deluxe was 6 years ago or so, I was in my brother's room and we were having fun with a bigas capacitor and a screwdriver :p touching the screwdriver to the terminals, good shower of sparks comes off :)

    XhArD, Jun 8, 2006
  11. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hahahha, you do have a strange set of hobbies man. :)

    Just finished listening to El Phantasmo & The Chicken Run Blast-o-Rama, Thunderkiss '65 now. :)

    The Modfather, Jun 9, 2006
  12. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I wonder if you can find some people that want custom cases built with their theme in mind. Sort of being comissioned to do a system build. I did one of those about 2 years ago, and it was called Maskirovka.
    [​IMG]

    bigal, Jun 9, 2006
  13. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    If I find them, ya know, er, that's what I do, so, they'd kinda be my customers first. :) Kinda like going to McDonalds and saying to the manager "Hey man, if you see any hungry people with money could ya send 'em over to my Burger King? Thanks man!" :)

    The Modfather, Jun 9, 2006
  14. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm not asking you to find me customers. I'm suggesting that you go find some customers for yourself. Silly Modfather. I don't need extra work. I'm only selling off older systems to make room for newer systems. It's the modder's way.

    bigal, Jun 11, 2006
  15. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    if you wanted to mod computers as a job, it would have the best way of working as.

    You Build a Standard computer into a start case, with a few lighting mods and a fan swap and a fan controller, and even a little Matrix Orbital LCD.

    You Build a pre designed Mod, eg you have a Case that you can always mod the same way every time, and its a mod everyone likes :)

    and then you have Customer Picked modding, they give you a design to work with, or a theme. You quote/Design and quote and they must pay a certain fee there (depending on if u have to design from a theme). Then you charge say $10 hour for every hour worked on the case, they pay for all parts, Machinery is covered in the $10/hour labour.

    That would be the best way to work out the production :)

    Make sure u get advertising, and dont put to much of a Work on your self. If if you become sucessful company, u can leech out to our countries.

    I would help in Australia :)

    unholy, Jun 12, 2006
  16. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well that's sort of what I want to do, but in a slightly more extreme way. I started off selling just custom hand etched clear cases, but the laser etching industry has sort of made that artform less desirable. Why go with a hand etched design when laser etching is so much more precise and clean and also a lot cheaper. Moulding custom cases using polymer clay is an option but they'd be very heavy and expensive to do, running an average of $100 extra just for the clay itself then there's the time and effort on my part. Who'd buy 'em? Hard to find customers for $500-$1000 cases. Doing simple lighting and so forth isn't something anyone would really want because they can do that themselves and in effect you'd just be a case reseller because lighting and so forth isn't really modding.

    The Modfather, Jun 13, 2006
  17. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    And so you are going to turn to modding printer chassis. It's only natural....

    bigal, Jun 13, 2006
  18. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    You have a point there modfather. But I still reckon if u can mod a case to look good, with low costs, and easy to mod it to that shape. Then you have yourself a seller.

    Hand Etch isn't worth it anymore.. unless ur in my prediciment, where it would cost more to send the window then it does to make it. :|

    unholy, Jun 13, 2006
  19. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Tell me how you make a good looking case mod that doesn't cost a lot which you could resell, g'head. :)

    I've given this a lot of thought and it just doesn't work. If I had a C&C or Waterjet or something it might be worth my while, I could mass produce a custom case design to my standards and charge a premium price for it and probably get away with it.

    We've discussed the idea of the case with the wiring solutions built in, that'd be a big part of the design of course. Then there's the possibility of built in peltier cooling, that might make it more desirable to the enthusiast. But there's a case out there that has peltier cooling, runs about $325 and I doubt I could compete with that price.

    The Modfather, Jun 14, 2006
  20. The Modfather

    Jyoti Ballabh

    Joined: