    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Don't add wood veneer. Chrome or painting looks better for computers.

    bigal, May 4, 2006

  2. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hmm, you haven't even seen this mod have ya Al? It has a wood veneer front door and top. :)

    Chroming it is a pain, I tried it but for some reason this panel just gives me way too many bumps and pits and I had to take it off. Painting might be the solution but, I dunno. What color? I mean no other part of the rig is painted. Maybe black to go with the background of the etch? That might look quite good actually.

    The Modfather, May 5, 2006

  3. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've been looking at it. I'm not a fan of wood veneer however. Also, I was more focused on the items you've been adding to the top, like the boxing ring.

    bigal, May 5, 2006
  4. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    BOXING RING?!!?!?

    You DO want to get put through a table, don't you Al? :)

    Well the wood is there to give it the "tables" aspect that we made famous. considering the fact that I'm disabled mostly because I went through several tables, it seemed appropriate. :)

    The Modfather, May 6, 2006
  5. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Ok, wrestling ring. Details, details. You are a sensitive guy....<ducks>.....<chickens>

    bigal, May 8, 2006
  6. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    <Bashes you upside the head with the unused barbed wire baseball bat>

    Never... NEVER do that again! :p

    So we put the LCD screen in the ring tonight, mounted it, liquid nailed it in place, etc etc... Doesn't work. Apparantly a wire has come loose and I have to tear it down again. AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

    The Modfather, May 8, 2006
  7. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    lol u should made sure it was right before u did that!!

    unholy, May 9, 2006
  8. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yes, we should have, but we just took it from the Chopper and put it in the ring, didn't see any reason to think it'd not be working... Oh well, it's a minor setback, unlike so many other things that could have gone wrong <knock Ikea particleboard>

    The Modfather, May 9, 2006
  9. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Update: The rig is almost done, only a couple more things to go. One is getting the window from HyperKore and installing it and the other is getting the red lighted fans and installing them. The fans SHOULD be here this week, the window I can't say, need to ask Tommy on monday when he gets in. Other than that, one or two wires to take care of wrapping and routing some of the wires in the case a little better and I need to get some vinyl sticker paper to make a logo for the center of the ring. I'm also thinking about putting a montage on the side of the case, but we'll see about that.

    Check my site to see some new pics which I'll be putting up soon. (tonight)

    The Modfather, May 14, 2006
  10. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Looking good. You forgot to mention the "wire management" yet to be done. That's my weakness. What part do you find most difficult?

    bigal, May 14, 2006
  11. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    the designing :p getting it outa the head and onto Paper/Computer

    But modfather has get ability to do that, he is just mind boggled at the Electronics sorta stuff :p

    unholy, May 15, 2006
  12. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yeah, heh, kinda.

    Wire management is mostly done there Al, didn't you notice that every single wire is wrapped with red pipe cleaners? Steve had that idea and at first I thought it was impractical for several reasons, first would be cost, but nope, it's cheaper. Second would be it'd look goofy, but it actually looks fantastic, last would be heat issues. No problem there either.

    We went through 8 packs of pipe cleaners (25 to a pack at 72cents a pack) to cover all the wires. Now it's just a matter of routing the wires that we "sleeved" in appropriate ways, which is something that you can't always do as you know. Some of the wiring has to be where it is so that's why you sleeve it.

    Fortunately there won't be a lot in the case that's visible once the laser etched window is installed. But I'm still concerned about that Sunbeam laser LED light thing. Those lights simply don't look bright enough and they're inside of little plastic tubes with what look like oddball magnifying lenses at the end. Also, after just hooking it up one of the pins on the molex broke and had to be soldered back on. That's Sunbeam quality control for ya. :)

    I wish a decent company made a similar product with higher powered LED lights. I might just buy a couple of the stand alone laser LEDs if this doesn't cut it.

    The Modfather, May 15, 2006
  13. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Update... Got preview pics of the etch from HyperKore today, they're on my site but since so many of you are too lazy to visit it, here.

    [​IMG]

    The Modfather, May 18, 2006
  14. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Now that custom laser-etched window looks great. I'm not sold on the wire management idea, but maybe it has to grow on me. I was envisioning more of a loose coil of pipe cleaner, rather than a tightly-wound bundle. Can you take a few close-up pictures of the wire bundles?

    bigal, May 18, 2006
  15. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yeah, when the window gets here I'll be getting more pics.

    The tight wiring is really nice, loose wire management, to me, looks sloppy. Haven't you seen the wire management job Steve did in the Necronomicase? It looks really awesome.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    And no, that's not split loom, that's Antec green UV wire wrap, comes in spools like big long strands of spaghetti.

    The Modfather, May 18, 2006
  16. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yes I did see that. I like the Antec green UV wrap. The red pipe cleaner doesn't have the same effect on me. Maybe it's something that has to grow on you.

    bigal, May 18, 2006
  17. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    If you start having red pipe cleaners grow on you let me know, alright? I'd like to see that. :)

    Trust me, in person it looks almost as good as the Antec wrap but there are other benefits.

    1. It stays bent for the most part however you bend it, making manuvering your wiring a lot easier.

    2. 79cents for a pack of 25 pipe cleaners is a lot better than $20 for a 20 foot roll of the Antec stuff.

    On the down side.

    1. It's a little bulkier than the antec stuff.
    2. It hasn't been trial tested to see if it affects the heat in the case yet.

    Anyway, got my red 120mm fans today. They're really nice, instead of being cheap clear plastic looking they're a nice shiny metallic red powdercoat. Should look sharp. Window is due to show up tomorrow! So tomorrow seems as if it's going to be D-Day for project ECW!

    The Modfather, May 19, 2006
  18. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That's great news. What's the deal with Tommy? He's not responding to my e-mails anymore....could he be too busy?

    bigal, May 19, 2006
  19. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I went and looked at several HyperKore laser-etched windows in my inventory. The normal laser-etched windows have the image burned on one side (not inside the glass). This catches the light just fine when I use cold cathodes. The V.1 blackout technique also has the image "burned" on one side. It feels the same as the normal (non-blackout) image, so I would say it's also a type of laser-etching. I know it will scratch easily - I found out when I mounted my AMD logo in the OsbornAgain keyboard. I had to use a black permanent marker to cover the scratches I put in the blackout coating from the mounting clips as they moved a bit. You can see the permanent marker, so it's not the best way to cover a scratch (but better than nothing).

    I assumed you would get the V.1 blackout, not the photograph-like V.2. I can shine light though the "etched areas" of the V.1 just fine, but no light goes through the V.2 style. Looking at your window above (which I think looks great by the way), I think you got the V.2 style. No light goes through that, and that was clear in the review I did late last year.

    Don't toss that window, even if you have a few scratches. It does look good to me, and you can touch up the scratches so nobody will notice them. You won't get light to pass through the V.2 blackout. If you don't like it. set it aside and put a home-made etching in that case.

    By the way, I'm sorry your not happy.

    bigal, May 21, 2006
  20. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    No scratches in it and it is V.1. Blackout, Tommy says that because it's a laser etch it won't catch the light from LED's like I had anticipated it would but I should try using CCFL's, which is what I'm going to do. I ordered in a couple of white CCFL's from Xoxide, which I can cover with whatever color gel I want to get the exact color match. I was also thinking about the possibility of using UV tubes and the white parchment paper and seeing what that looks like. Right now I just have white parchment with two Hyperlights inside and it's not giving me enough pop. I almost ordered 4 of the big 5 LED laser lights to try to super saturate it with LED's but thankfully I got the EMail from Tommy before I plunked down the $50 on those.

    Also, when we thought we were all done it turns out one of the liquid looking CCFL's shorted and the wire got very very hot and we had to remove it so I've ordered in two new lights for the side tubes. They're more red than the ones I have now which tend towards blue.

    I wanna get this project done so I can concentrate on finishing up the Titan for my dad and then start on something new. Might be working on the Zombie project or I might do the Faktory Default project, depends on a couple of factors.

    The Modfather, May 22, 2006