Project ECW

Discussion in 'Case Modding' started by The Modfather, Mar 19, 2006.

1. The Modfather

bigal

The v.2 etching doesn't let any light through it. It's like pasting a black and white photograph up on the side of your case. If you have a mess inside there (aka Globe of Retribution), then this might be the window for you. What it needs is an external light. I haven't figured out a good way to do this yet, except maybe a frame around the window where you embed electroluminscent wire or cold cathodes so they aren't directly visible. The v.1 etch does let some light through - see my OsbornAgain keyboard "AMD" as an example. This has a translucent view into the interior. It's also appropriate for messy interiors, as you have a hard time making out details like individual strands of wire. The normal etched window is ideal if you want a good view inside the case. Both the v.1 and the normal window trasmit the light well.

bigal, Apr 8, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. The Modfather

unholy

i reckon it would look heaps better with light coming through. Because Modfather is going to be cable managing his case :) plus it need to have the red glow :)

unholy, Apr 9, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. The Modfather

The Modfather

Right, I want the light to come through the etch but the areas that are black in that image should be blacked out, which is v1, right? I E-mailed that guy, no reply yet though.

The v2 seems kind of pointless to me, why have a window in that case? Might as well just make a large printout and stick it on the side of the case, what's the point of making it a window then?

The Modfather, Apr 9, 2006
  4. The Modfather

bigal

I guess some people don't care to see inside the case. Plus, if you have a light source shining on it, the v.2 looks great. For the most part, I will stick with clear and v.1 etchings. I have several in stock now, from my past order at Hyperkore. I have a couple of the Big Al's Computers logo, and one of me on a Buell motorcycle at the January 2006 Washington DC motorcycle show.

I suggest the v.1 window for a translucent view, and the clear window for a clear view.

bigal, Apr 9, 2006
  5. The Modfather

The Modfather

Well, V1 seems the most like what I want, I want it to look like the pic I just posted but with the white areas being clear and having the light shine in them like a hologram. V2 makes no sense to me, like I said, if that's the effect you want just print out a black and white image, put it behind glass and you've got it, what's so special about it that you'd want to pay $40+ for it?

The Modfather, Apr 10, 2006
  6. The Modfather

bigal

I guess it's the effect of being "in the glass", as opposed to being "behind the glass". Anyway, go with the v.1 version.

bigal, Apr 10, 2006
  7. The Modfather

The Modfather

I will, waiting to hear back from the dude. I told him we took care of the body. :)

The Modfather, Apr 10, 2006
  8. The Modfather

bigal

I'll ping him.

bigal, Apr 10, 2006
  9. The Modfather

unholy

what ever u do, dont Ping of Death him...

unholy, Apr 10, 2006
  10. The Modfather

bigal

I just sent him one e-mail this morning. I haven't seen a reply yet.

bigal, Apr 10, 2006
  11. The Modfather

unholy

Might be because its a weekend :p

unholy, Apr 11, 2006
  12. The Modfather

The Modfather

I gots me a reply today. :)

Just gotta find out if they wanna do a sponsorship thing or not. That'd be handy, save me the trouble of waiting for the Bawls money. Damn that's taking a long time.

The Modfather, Apr 11, 2006
  13. The Modfather

XhArD

theyre waiting for you to die mate, then they don't have to pay up :)

XhArD, Apr 11, 2006
  14. The Modfather

bigal

I'm surprised the Bawl's money is taking so long. They sent my check within a couple of weeks after contacting me with the good news. I would e-mail them again.

bigal, Apr 11, 2006
  15. The Modfather

The Modfather

So would I except... I lost their address when I had to reformat. I could contact them through the website but would they know who I am? :)

The Modfather, Apr 11, 2006
  16. The Modfather

The Modfather

Images of the project so far (real pics this time)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got some red paint on the lock, didn't even notice that until I took the pics with the flash.

The chrome flames on the front door aren't flush to the top, that's on purpose, with them not being quite as wide as I wanted they would have looked wrong flush with the top. Cutting chromalloy is NOT easy!!!!!!

The chrome strips on the top of the case are a (finally) GOOD gilding job for a change, it took to the veneer nicely, the chrome around the fan cowel on the other hand is an adheasive, the gilding doesn't like plastic AT ALL (not porous enough for the adheasive size to get a grip I guess).

The ECW logo on the lower front of the case is cut from billit aluminum. It's basically supposed to be a pendant, oh well, works anyway. :) I ordered a replacement Antec badge for the case because of the troubles I had with the front door and pinstriping it on the material it's made out of. I don't think it's metal I think the case is made from some kind of plastic. It doesn't feel like metal. Painting on wood on the other hand is a LOT easier. :) Note the flame pinstriping on the front and barbed wire pinstriping on the top.

The red around the ECW logo is a compensation. Cutting the laminate to shape perfectly for the aluminum badge was next to impossible so it's essentially the right shape but a bit too large and the gray showed through so I opted to highlight the badge with red. I might change that, not sure what I'll do there yet.

I've decided that behind the doors, all the bay devices will also get a wood laminate treatment, should carry the theme through. The drawers of the optical drives I intend to chrome with the adheasive chrome tape (I've tried gilding optical drives, it doesn't work at all, but this should). The combination of chrome and wood should look nice I think.

I finished sanding down the black aluminum baseball bat so it can be welded to, that was a bitch. I scraped it first with a razor blade and got most of the paint off that way then spent about 3 hours sanding it down with various grits, applied some "gore" and "blood" and that's drying upstairs now. (being diabetic has its benifits, you don't feel much pain and have easy access to little sharp things to draw blood with. Muhahaha!) :)

I still need ideas for this project, so think HARDCORE wrestling, go watch some backyard wrestling videos on google videos or something for an idea and throw some at me. I'm running dry at the moment and need some input!

Also, please visit my site and post.

Thanks,
    Mike

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
    The Modfather, Apr 14, 2006
  17. The Modfather

XhArD

very cool stuff Modfather. I have no doubt that this will be an awesome looking case.

XhArD, Apr 14, 2006
  18. The Modfather

The Modfather

Thanks dude... I hope so. :) Check my site, I just added some links to some cool video footage including the ECW intro where you can see me, tell me where and if you're right you win a bazillion dollars! :)

19. The Modfather

XhArD

Which one is the Intro? Because the link that says Intro is the Tajiri vs Super Crazy one

XhArD, Apr 14, 2006
  20. The Modfather

The Modfather

Somehow all the links are backed up one, so it's the one before it. I don't have a clue how the hell that could have happened, it's not logical. <Shrug> I'll have to fix it, ugh!

Edit: Ok, the links should be right now. I don't have any idea what happened, some were wrong, others were not even there and still others were to the wrong site, weird stuff.

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question