    Location:
    Australia
    why would i want to buy a 3d Render?

    unholy, Mar 30, 2006

  2. The Modfather

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    No thanks Modfather, I'm happy with a DVD Burner :p And Unholy, over here it's "metre" not "meter". "meter" is a measure of, "metre" is a distance.

    XhArD, Mar 31, 2006

  3. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    not my fault i type so quickly half the time its "Meter" and the other Half its "Metre"

    unholy, Mar 31, 2006
  4. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Bah, who cares what it is... And you're just jealous because your 3D renders suck.

    The Modfather, Mar 31, 2006
  5. The Modfather

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    http://www.deviantart.com/view/31134464/

    Reckon any of you could render something like that without cheating like I did? :p I used Terragen to make that, took about 20 minutes including rendering time.

    XhArD, Mar 31, 2006
  6. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Not with Truespace, no, but with something like Bryce it'd be simple enough. Never heard of Terragen though.

    The Modfather, Mar 31, 2006
  7. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ok... Did this in the time it took to...

    1. Google Terragen
    2. Download Terragen
    3. Install Terragen
    4. Look over the program.
    5. Figure it out.
    6. Render the image I created.
    7. Open it in Photoshop and do some post work with it, Terragen didn't
    give me the final results I hoped for, Photoshop compensated a bit.
    8. Upload it to putfile.
    9. Post this reply.
    10. See time difference between previous msg and this one for total.

    [​IMG]

    The Modfather, Mar 31, 2006
  8. The Modfather

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Yeah, yours is a basic water, mountain and sunlight thing. When you get into atmosphere colours and haze, fog height and all the other crap it can take a little longer. The last one I made, I had just added a new effect called Ice Flow that I downloaded. From when I opened Terragen to after it was finished rendering was about 7 minutes, rendering time was 5 minutes 18 seconds.

    http://www.deviantart.com/view/31136419/

    XhArD, Mar 31, 2006
  9. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Looks like you're rendering in a lower res too. That one did have color fog effects and so forth but they didn't look correct, when Adobe fixed it it removed them. But yeah, it's a very simple little program, you should try Bryce, it's a lot more detailed.

    The Modfather, Apr 1, 2006
  10. The Modfather

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Whcih res are you rendering them in? I've got most of mine at 1280x960, it's the highest res you can have them without registering. That first one was only 1024x768, but I do most of mine in higher res to fit my monitor. I'll have a look into Bryce one day, if I get bored enough :p Only reason I got Terragen in the first place was because I had to stay home all week and wanted something to do.

    XhArD, Apr 1, 2006
  11. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    I don't mean the resolution as in screen size, I mean in quality level. I just rendered that in 640x480 screen size, didn't see a point to making it any bigger, it's not gonna be a wallpaper or anything. :)

    Actually Photoshop has a plugin that does pretty much the same thing as this, but a lot faster. I think it's either with one of the KPT or Alien Skin packages.

    The Modfather, Apr 1, 2006
  12. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Well heres some semi detailed renders done in 3ds max with pure hand movement in 20 minutes :p, no where near as detailed as this program u use :p

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Attached Files:

    unholy, Apr 2, 2006
  13. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Uh, 3DS Max is actually a lot more powerful than TrueSpace, which is what I mostly use. I just never took the time to learn it, and at this point in my life I doubt I ever will. Between TrueSpace, Maya, Lightwave, Photoshop, Illustrator, Xara Xtreme, Corel Painter, PSP, Bryce, Poser and all the other art programs I've had to learn I've filled my head, no more room left. :)

    The Modfather, Apr 4, 2006
  14. The Modfather

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Its heaps good for modeling, because of its NURMS and NURBS tools, and Vertex editing. It can also render very well, with life like effects such as Radiosity and Refraction/reflection. and other tools for advanced lighting techniques, i would also have to say it has the best Material editor and TextureMapping tools out of most of the editors i have used :) worth learning i would have to say.

    There is a few downsides, its character skinning/bones are quite hard to master. But once down u can use tons of cooler physics tools like Ragdoll.

    But there is one tool that is sweet for rending, and thats Particle systems. You can create your own from scratch, sound waves in relation to speeds, explosiones related to collision. tons of stuff :)

    unholy, Apr 5, 2006
  15. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    TrueSpace will do all of that, but those aren't things I have a lot of use for most of the time. Nurbs and Metaballs occasionally, but particles and so forth are more of use in animation and I haven't had a need to do any 3D animations in a long long time.

    The Modfather, Apr 7, 2006
  16. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Back on track. Al, do you think your laser etching contacts could do something like this justice?

    [​IMG]

    The Modfather, Apr 7, 2006
  17. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Sure. That might be a good v.2 window, one you can't see through. If you go with the v.1 window, some light will come through. Send an e-mail to Tommy at [email protected] , and tell him Big Al sent you.

    bigal, Apr 7, 2006
  18. The Modfather

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    *Thick Italian Mafia accent* "Hey Tommy.... i'm here for the window. Big Al sent me" :p

    XhArD, Apr 7, 2006
  19. The Modfather

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yeaaaahhh. That's the ticket!

    bigal, Apr 7, 2006
  20. The Modfather

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Isn't v2 the kind that NO light gets through, even where there ISN'T etching? Why would I want that? I want the etch to light up. Or am I misunderstanding exactly what v2 is? I want the etch to pop with the light that I use in the case but don't necessarally care to see the guts.

    The Modfather, Apr 8, 2006