    Northern Virginia, USA
    Someone's got to....

    ...pay for software. We can't all use it for free you know. Just wait until you try to sell your own program.:motz:

    bigal, Dec 16, 2005

  2. Ian

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Um, I wasn't referring to piracy Al, I was referring to GPL Open Source software. For things like this, there's more of that and better, than there is of the pay stuff. If it weren't for some of the instability and hacking issues with phpBB, it's a vastly superior forum program than VB by far.

    The Modfather, Dec 16, 2005

  3. Ian

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I wasn't..

    ...refering to piracy either. If everything was open source, who would pay the developers? Once you are paid a decent sum, and the software has been out for a while and is no longer a "must have" bit of code, then you put it into the open source world for others to use. :bandit:

    bigal, Dec 16, 2005
  4. Ian

    Gez

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    Messages:
    218
    Likes Received:
    0
    Mod, if you read the mans titles on his posts... then you would realize he wasn't talking about piracy at all.

    anyway, Ian! are you going to change the recent posts thing on the main page so i can see what people are posting and not just new threads?

    Gez, Dec 16, 2005
  5. Ian

    Ian Administrator

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Messages:
    1,217
    Likes Received:
    7
    So you'd see the latest posts on the front page, instead of threads?

    Ian, Dec 16, 2005
  6. Ian

    Gez

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    Messages:
    218
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ya, that way I (or others) can easily find the topics being talked about.

    Gez, Dec 16, 2005
  7. Ian

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Look at most linux suites. all free, open source too. whilest the GNU license states if u distrubute a *nix based OS u must not charge for the software but only for support, thats simply how Red Hat makes there money :D

    I reckon open source is good, but free stuff is good too. i hate paying for stuff. si much so i use a beta version of win x64 like al does :p

    unholy, Dec 16, 2005
  8. Ian

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Considering the prices of commercial software coupled with the terrible support, zero return policies of all retailers, buggy code and propigation of malware on retail products these days, yeah, screw the developers, sorry man.

    The Modfather, Dec 17, 2005
  9. Ian

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    i dont hate the game developers though, except i hate most of the shit ideas they come up with... :|

    Modfather, technically i am not a developer :p i am a coder :p

    unholy, Dec 17, 2005
  10. Ian

    Ian Administrator

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Messages:
    1,217
    Likes Received:
    7
    Well, its 11:50 here now and I'm off to bed! I've not got the review system quite to the stage I want, so will take a couple of hours polishing tomorrow to enable it to work for other users.

    Unholys review is here as a test, as I started on this as soon as I received it:

    https://www.velocityreviews.com/reviews/Evercool_Shark_CPU_Cooler/1/

    Click the Reviews icon at the top to see the old + new formats. The main page and side bars will be updated to be dynamic in the next 1/2 days aswell. I'm going to fix it so that article writers can access the system and do everything all in one (write, publish and news posts).

    To do for tomorrow:

    Add in proper score/awards box
    Convert Guide Section
    Write user guide for article writers

    Ian, Dec 17, 2005
  11. Ian

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Looks good...

    ...but that byline for Unholy's review needs to be fixed.

    Is: "The Shark was made is for the in between people, who don’t Overclock, but like low temperatures, like myself."

    Should Be: "The Shark was made for the in-between people. They don’t overclock and they like low temperatures, myself included.":fluff:

    Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
    bigal, Dec 18, 2005
  12. Ian

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    yer, i haven't fully read through it. i like reading through it when its uploaded. notepad and word are hard to see where mistakes are :|

    u also might want to change the Ian Cunningham bit and make sure the award is up :D, i will edit it, post a run down on how to make these reviews... also make a bigger typing window. its micro :|

    unholy, Dec 18, 2005
  13. Ian

    Ian Administrator

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Messages:
    1,217
    Likes Received:
    7
    Yeah that was the unchanged version up as a test :) Making the changes today to get it fully working :D

    Ian, Dec 18, 2005
  14. Ian

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Um, Jon... "Tools/Spelling & Grammar", it's real simple, use it. :)

    The Modfather, Dec 18, 2005
  15. Ian

    Ian Administrator

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Messages:
    1,217
    Likes Received:
    7
    Article system is now live, and it auto updates the main page and sub-sections. Sidebar and thread creation are on the "to do" list :)

    Ian, Dec 19, 2005
  16. Ian

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    yer and add that little option in for spell checker :D. even know i do copy whats in the box to notepad and edit that way :D

    theres 2 problems i came across, 1. when u come from editing the threadid is used, then u go and click the next button and 404 fnf.

    2. theres no auto next line if the words go past the little sidebar :p

    unholy, Dec 20, 2005
  17. Ian

    Ian Administrator

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Messages:
    1,217
    Likes Received:
    7
    1) Yeah, thats something that I need to fix over the next few weeks - only cosmetic though as its not something that effects non-admins. Just click on the Reviews/Guides link at the top to go back to viewing it.

    2) What do you mean by autonext line? Any chance you can post a pic :)

    Ian, Dec 20, 2005
  18. Ian

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Look at the test System for the sharks cooler.

    then look at the ram timings for the OCZ sticks. the last 3 characters get cut (is it three or 2 i forget)

    Also, make sure u dont forget the awards and score :)

    Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
    unholy, Dec 20, 2005