Program will not run, used to run, have reinstalled numerous times,no luck

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Boppy, Jan 21, 2011.

  1. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Hi guys,

    I had a few glitches with my system which I resolved but a casualty
    has been Corel Draw X5 which has always run perfectly well but I guess
    I have tweaked something in fixing the other problem and now it will
    not run.

    If I click the icon within Program Files nothing happens. If I double-
    click a .cdr file which should be opened in Corel I get the error
    message "there was a problem sending the command to the program".

    I've un- and re-installed several times, even gone through the
    registry and removed all references. There is no appdata for the
    program, each time I reinstall it's a clean install, so what am I
    missing?

    I have asked this in the Corel forum but no one can help. I don't
    think it's a Corel issue anyway, so much as a Windows 7 issue.

    Can anyone think of something I can try to get this program running
    again?

    FYI everything else is running like a dream, Adobe CS5 and all - this
    is my only tricky app.

    Thanks in advance,
    Jo

    Boppy, Jan 21, 2011

  2. Boppy

    Dave Taylor Guest

    IMHO, this software is terrible. Don't fix it. Dump it and use something
    else to replace it.
    I say this because Corel Draw is one of the very few products to STILL have
    problems when it comes to colour management and printing, which is what I
    do at work :(

    Dave Taylor, Jan 21, 2011

  3. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    well i've been using it for 20 years and i need to access my files.

    Boppy, Jan 21, 2011
  4. Boppy

    Ted Guest

    It sounds like a problem with starting up the program.

    I don't know Windows 7 so can't give step-by-step instructions. But I
    think you need to find out the name of the executable it's trying to
    run, and search for other instances of that name - maybe it's trying
    to run the wrong one.

    Also look for the event log in Windows 7 and see if anything gets
    logged when you try to start the program.

    Ted, Jan 21, 2011
  5. Imagine if you did that every time you had trouble with a Windows program...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 21, 2011
  6. Boppy

    victor Guest

    Perhaps an upgrade to Windows 95 would help

    victor, Jan 21, 2011
  7. Boppy

    EMB Guest

    Are you running any firewall software?

    EMB, Jan 21, 2011
  8. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Thanks guys.

    I have added CorelDRW to the firewall exceptions so it's not that.

    THis is the event log: can it tell you anything that may help?

    + System

    - Provider

    [ Name] Application Error

    - EventID 1000

    [ Qualifiers] 0

    Level 2

    Task 100

    Keywords 0x80000000000000

    - TimeCreated

    [ SystemTime] 2011-01-21T22:51:48.000000000Z

    EventRecordID 255845

    Channel Application

    Computer JO-PC

    Security

    - EventData

    CorelDRW.exe
    15.0.0.489
    4bbe0ccb
    ntdll.dll
    6.1.7600.16559
    4ba9b21e
    c0000005
    000619f1
    f20
    01cbb9bdc34306bd
    C:\Program Files\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X5\Programs
    \CorelDRW.exe
    C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    06b7d133-25b1-11e0-b2eb-99a8f68d10f6

    ALso, looking back at the restore points, I notice there is an
    uninstallation of Windows Shell Extension when I remove Corel Draw.
    Don't know if that's relevant.
    Also there are a couple of other DOS boxes that appear during install/
    repair - I'll try to catch what they say exactly.

    Boppy, Jan 21, 2011
  9. Boppy

    Ted Guest

    In XP at least, that path name should have been in quotes, because it
    contains spaces.

    Try navigating to C:\Program Files\Corel\CorelDRAW Graphics Suite
    X5\Programs, then double-clicking on CorelDRW.exe

    Ted, Jan 21, 2011
  10. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    yep that's what i've been doing to no avial

    Boppy, Jan 21, 2011
  11. Boppy

    Ted Guest

    Here's something Google came up with:

    -------------

    ntdll.dll fault module 6.1.7600.16559 exception code c0000005 on
    Windows 7
    November 19, 2010 · Posted in How to

    Inexplicable problem with application on Windows 7. (The kind of
    idiosyncratic problem you switched from Linux to avoid.) Try running
    the application in compatibility mode (e.g. for Windows Vista SP2). It
    worked for me.

    Ted, Jan 21, 2011
  12. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Nup, doesn't run under any other system I choose in Compatibility. But
    it always ran under WIn 7 so that wouldn't be the issue.

    Don't know if it's related in fact it probably isn't but my Bonjour
    service has constant errors too in my event log.

    Boppy, Jan 22, 2011
  13. Boppy

    John Guest

    Try right clicking on the exe and use the "Run as administrator".

    John, Jan 22, 2011
  14. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    nup. no go.

    Boppy, Jan 22, 2011
  15. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Well it's fixed. I did a reboot and something I did today has
    obviously done the trick - thanks everyone.

    Boppy, Jan 22, 2011
  16. In message
    Time to reinstall Dimdows?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 24, 2011