    2200?

    Thanks,

    Cliff

    Cliff Spicer, Jul 14, 2003

  2. Why do you need another profile for luster? Are you having a problem?

    Jerry

    Jerry Greer / Mountain Trail Press, Jul 14, 2003

  3. Cliff Spicer

    Cliff Spicer Guest

    Hi Jerry,

    I don't find the profiles that Tim or Epson have made to be great. I find
    them good but not great. They especially fall short in printing a duotone or
    black and white and I would like to try another for comparison. Even
    printing something out the same image with Tim's and Epson's give you a
    different look and they are both suposed to be accurate so I guess there is
    an art as well as a science to creating great profiles and I want to see
    someone else's for comparison.

    Thanks,

    Cliff

    Cliff Spicer, Jul 14, 2003
  4. Cliff Spicer

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: "Cliff Spicer"
    What you're probably running in to is the delta E of the different units. The
    Epson consumer grade models like the 2200 aren't built to the same tolerances
    as the professional models like the 7600 or 9600, so there's a larger
    difference in gamut between different units.

    For sure Tim used a different printer than did Epson (plus different software),
    which explains the differences in results. His profiles are about 300% larger
    than the Epson ones, so in theory should be more accurate (smaller steps in the
    look up tables). I've tested both sets of profiles on all six Epson 2200
    papers and liked Tim's better on some papers, especially for yellows, but on
    other papers didn't see much if any difference between them.

    If your particular printer has a really different gamut and you can't get a
    good match with the canned generic profiles you may need to get a custom
    profile built just for your printer. These are pretty expensive, around $100
    for each paper type for a really good one, but are the most accurate way to get
    the "perfect" ICM file. Just randomly trying another freebie profile isn't
    likely to do you much good.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jul 14, 2003
  5. Cliff Spicer

    Cliff Spicer Guest

    Hi Bill,

    I am going the custom profile route but wanted to see if something else was
    out there before. I don't really care about the cost because the savings in
    ink, paper and hair is well worth it. I have been told by many people that
    the guy to go to in Toronto is Angus Pady at
    http://www.colourmanagement.ca/index.html . I know profiles can be had for
    cheaper but I like the idea the guy is in driving distance and has a shop I
    can go to if I have a problem.

    Let you know how it goes,

    Cliff

    Cliff Spicer, Jul 14, 2003
  6. Cliff Spicer

    Cliff Spicer Guest

    Hi Tom,

    I have had custom profiles made for my older Epson printers and used some
    canned ones as well. I know what you are saying about the black and white
    issue but if there is a color cast in the black and white image you can be
    assured in exists in the color image as well but is less noticable. From
    what I hear the guy who is making my profile (couriered the target today) is
    very good and he cam highly recommend to me from a number of people, in
    particular a friend of my wife's who owns a large print shop and has Angus
    come in and profile all his machines regularly. Take a look at how Angus has
    you set up for the profiile. It is much different that anything else I have
    seen in that he does not have you turn off all the color controls. What do
    you think?

    Cliff Spicer, Jul 14, 2003
  7. Thank you very much, if I wish to have a profile for my particular
    printer, could you please refer me to a reasonably good firm who would
    do this? I am likely to use only two kind of papers, and would be
    prepared to incur the expense.

    Nobody

    nobody nowhere, Jul 15, 2003
  8. Cliff Spicer

    Flycaster Guest

    Chromix or Profile City, both on the 'Net.

    Flycaster, Jul 17, 2003