    at home with Visual Studio 2008 so I can try out all the lessons in these
    subjects. My question is, will the Standard Edition suffice for this or do I
    need the Professional Edition?

    Benjamin Rogers, Nov 25, 2008

  2. The key to this question goes to a few basic points.

    One, the exams...

    Candidates for this exam use Microsoft Visual Studio in a team-based,
    medium-sized to large development environment.

    Two, a "team-based, medium-sized to large development environment"...

    This doesn't mean you have to have actual experience in this environment,
    but it means that the exam questions have been written with the presumption
    that the candidate does. This, then, implies not only Visual Studio
    Professional Edition, but possibly some experience with Team Edition for
    Developers.

    As for the Std Ed vs Pro Ed question -- there's very little difference in
    those two products.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-au/vs2008/products/cc149003.aspx

    The most significant being the additional debugging facilities included in
    Pro Ed, that are not in the Std Ed, but since you're focusing on ASP.NET
    development topics, this is likely less of a real issue (than it might be
    for WinApps or EnterpriseApps).

    Ultimately, what you require to "try out all the lessons" will be stated in
    whatever training materials you're using. If the Training Guide says you can
    use Std Edition, then you can use it. If the Training Guide says you need
    Professional Edition, then that's what you'll need.

    But, given that Microsoft offers a 90-day trial edition of Visual Studio
    Professional Edition,
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vs2008/products/cc268305.aspx
    I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't use Professional Edition for
    your training!

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Nov 26, 2008