    Nothing. I did that (tried GIMP) and as others have said: a complete
    waste of time. I am surprised that anyone is still suggesting it as a
    credible option.

    Chris H, Feb 24, 2010

  2. Alan Lichtenstein

    Chris H Guest

    I get the same impression.

    Chris H, Feb 24, 2010

  3. Thank you for your response. However, I think my decision has already
    been made for me. After perusing the posts this morning, I went to my
    local Apple store to simply make a few technical inquires regarding
    Aperture. In the course of those inquiries, I discovered that I cannot
    use the most recent version of Aperture, as Apple is no longer
    supporting pre-intel hardware. Aperature 3 requires the intel-based
    Mac. Having purchased a pre-intel Power Mac G5, not more than two years
    before the change from Motorola chips to Intel chips, what I was told
    was that my machine is now obsolete. Since I do not plan on purchasing
    a new computer in the near future, that restricts my choices. While I
    do have a newer MacBook with the new Intel chip, I didn't plan on making
    that my stand alone computer. So it looks like I'll go with Lightroom,
    as a better alternative to iPhoto, which is what I wanted. By the time
    I become somewhat proficient, both in taking photographs as well as
    becoming somewhat competent with editing, unless Apple comes out with a
    blockbuster program, I'll probably be using the Adobe software.

    As far as HDR is concerned, that's far down the road for me, and I know
    that Photomatix is a stand alone program. I just thought I'd ask. But
    it doesn't hurt to think down the road and do some planning with some
    idea of a road map in mind.

    Alan Lichtenstein, Feb 24, 2010
  4. Alan Lichtenstein

    OG Guest

    I don't know whether it's my age or what, but the only HDR I like is the HDR
    that is almost totally imperceptible, and I'd have thought that learning to
    perform sensitive post processing without HDR would be a far more valuable
    skill to develop.

    I'm no way claiming any expertise in this, I rarely do much more than a bit
    of contrast tweaking and the like (either using the very limited toolset in
    Picasa, or using an old version of PaintShop Pro) but I shudder when I see
    some of the landscapes that have been so-called 'improved' through HDR.

    As an afterthought, if you think you might be interested in producing
    panoramas, Microsoft has a very effective program called ICE, Image
    Composite Editor that has a very straightforward interface and works very
    well as an introductory program.

    OG, Feb 24, 2010
  5. Alan Lichtenstein

    Chris H Guest

    I have the same problem with a PPC G5 Mac.
    V2* of Lightroom supports PPC MAC V3 will not. So get hold of a copy of
    Lightroom V2 before the V3 is released. Though Adobe has released an
    upgrade to V2 whilst the Beta V3 has been available.
    I think you will stay with Lightroom. Remember it is a cataloguing
    program first and foremost. As you get more proficient at taking and
    editing pictures you will still need Lightroom to control your photos.
    I have over 9,000 images in mine and I intend to scan in the slides and
    negatives from past decades as I get the chance (got a good slide
    scanner)

    When you want to do more you will find PSE and PS a natural fit for more
    extensive editing and Lightroom will of course catalogue the PSD files
    as well as the RAW images.

    The most important thing to do is get a large FireWire external disk or
    NAS storage box. Then when you import to Lightroom It will give you the
    option of backing up. Get in to this habit. Then you will always have a
    back up of the images and the catalogue.

    Also start keyboarding as you go. It's worth it.

    Chris H, Feb 24, 2010
  6. Which you can enlarge to your heart's content.
    Use a slightly stronger USM on a new layer and then play with
    the opacity. Problem solved.
    For bonus points, write a little routine that does that and also
    create a mask that masks out all but edges.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Feb 24, 2010
  7.
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Feb 24, 2010
  8. Alan Lichtenstein

    Guest Guest

    except that he said he has a mac so it won't be of much use, not to
    mention that photoshop can do panoramas as can numerous other apps on
    the mac.

    Guest, Feb 24, 2010
  9. Alan Lichtenstein

    OG Guest

    Did he - I didn' read the whole thread.

    Somebody may appreciate the information.

    OG, Feb 24, 2010
  10. Interesting. I have no desire to purchase old software which cannot be
    upgraded, or even use subsequent versions. Given that, it looks like
    I'm going to have to purchase new computer sooner than I expected.
    I appreciate what you say, but I'll always be stuck with Lightroom 2
    with likely no further updates. Given that, it looks like I'm going to
    have to purchase a new computer sooner than I anticipated. I ran into
    the same problem with Mac OS 10.6, which is not available for pre-Intel
    machines. If third party software is not going to be compatible with
    Mac operating systems before 10.6, then I may need to purchase a new
    machine.
    I had already assumed I would need that.

    Alan Lichtenstein, Feb 24, 2010
  11. Alan Lichtenstein

    Guest Guest

    disable that option.

    Guest, Feb 24, 2010
  12. Alan Lichtenstein

    tony cooper Guest

    I have yet to see/use an intuitive software program. Something that
    is intuitive is something that anticipates what you want to do and
    directs you to or takes you to the next step. Image processing
    software doesn't do that.

    You open a file and the image just sits there until you tell the
    program what to do. The program doesn't sense that you want to
    lighten the image, increase the contrast, crop it, re-size it, or
    anything else. Whatever your next step is, it will be a series of
    steps, and you will have to decide what those steps will be.

    Adobe's Elements, and Adobe's Lightroom, have a feature that - while
    it isn't intuitive - at least makes it easy for the new user to learn
    what steps are required to improve an image: a visible adjustment
    panel with sliders. (In Quick Fix mode in Elements and Develop mode
    in Lightroom) The new user can fiddle around with the sliders and see
    the effect of each slider on the image. There's a "reset" button in
    each that returns the image to the original state if the slider
    adjustments made hurt, rather than help, the image.

    Elements also has "Auto" clicks that generally are sufficient for most
    routine editing. The user will generally find that the "Auto" clicks,
    and some tweaking with the Levels sliders, is enough with a properly
    taken photograph. The "Auto" clicks are the only thing that might be
    called "intuitive".

    The above doesn't cover image manipulation (changing something in the
    photo), but this is done with tools like the Healing Brush and the
    Clone Stamp Tool and this can be learned following on-line tutorials.

    If the OP purchases Lightroom, the OP will find that a book is going
    be required. Not just useful...required. Software doesn't come with
    manuals or instruction books anymore. The OP will find he'll need to
    purchase either one of Scott Kelby's books or one of Martin Evening's
    books. (Which to buy will spur yet another debate in the newsgroup
    because some like Kelby's style and some like Evening's style)

    The OP will then find that the cost of a book - $40 to $45 new - is as
    much as the Elements program itself.

    A book isn't really required with Elements. Working along with the
    Quick Fix sliders, and then moving into the Full Edit mode with what
    has been learned fiddling around with the sliders in Quick Fix, should
    get most people by. Some look-ups on on-line tutorials will be
    helpful.

    The ideal entry system, in my opinion, is purchasing Elements for
    editing and Lightroom for image keywording/storage/retrieval. The
    Lightroom Develop module (which is their editing module) is sufficient
    as a stand-alone for the editing function, but it's a steep learning
    curve.

    tony cooper, Feb 24, 2010
  13. Savageduck wrote:
    I realize that. However, if I know in advance that my equipment is,
    essentially, obsolete, it would make more sense to adjust my plan
    accordingly. After all, I was able to use my old Power Mac 5400 for
    several years after the introduction of Mac OS X. No third party
    software was compatible with the older hardware, and when I needed some,
    it was time to upgrade. That system, however, lasted me 13+ years. I
    bought this one less than six years ago.
    I also have a MacBook, but my tower is a G5 1.8 dual, which I figured
    would last me for at least ten years, maybe a bit more, if my particular
    needs didn't expand drastically. I added another 1.5 gigs of RAM to
    give me what I thought would be that cushion. Unfortunately, I wasn't
    planning on replacing this tower anytime soon, however, if the lack of
    computability of photoediting programs is an indication, I'm sure other
    third party software will follow.
    I'm probably going to spring for a new tower first and then purchase the
    programs. While I saved up for the possibility I might have to spend a
    couple of hundred dollars on a photoediting program, I didn't count on
    spending a couple of thousand. With that in mind, Lightroom 2 may be
    the best answer, as I know the upgrade can be purchased separately when
    I buy the new computer to go to Lightroom 3. If the upgrade is still
    available.

    Anyway, is Elements 8 necessary with Lightroom? If so, why?

    Alan Lichtenstein, Feb 24, 2010
  14. Alan Lichtenstein

    Guest Guest

    referenced files, added in aperture 1.5 several years ago.

    <http://www.apertureprofessional.com/articleimages/auto_upload/ac53698f0
    b9527f163cbf02f7a5d1194/storefiles.jpg>

    managed files is the default, but not required.

    Guest, Feb 24, 2010
  15. Alan Lichtenstein

    Guest Guest

    when iphoto and aperture manage the library, the folder hierarchy is
    not supposed to be for user navigation. that's why it's called a
    managed library. if you want an image, you can query it from the app,
    i.e., photos of beaches taken in summer, 2009, with julie but not bob.
    you *can't* do that with a folder hierarchy (at least not without
    significant pain).

    however, if you prefer to manage the location of the images yourself,
    simply disable the option. you can still do queries based on content.

    Guest, Feb 24, 2010
  16. Thanks. that's good advice.

    Alan Lichtenstein, Feb 24, 2010
  17. Alan Lichtenstein

    LOL! Guest

    Unfortunately, because you're new, you don't realize that "nospam" is one
    of the biggest pretend-photographer role-playing trolls in this newsgroup.
    He only regurgitates what he reads online. He doesn't even use these
    programs nor even own a camera. Proved many times over in the past.

    Enjoy his advice. :)

    LOL!

    LOL!, Feb 24, 2010
  18. Alan Lichtenstein

    Joel Connor Guest

    I suggest you show everyone again the abysmal HDR image you tried once and
    once only and failed at completely. You don't even know how to use HDR
    techniques let alone understand the process behind them, in order to make
    any valid assessment on which program is up to the task. Much better
    programs were suggested for this than what you tried to learn to use and
    never figured out, but because of idiots like you regurgitating bad advice
    who don't even know how to use the programs you have, now another poor fool
    is going to create images as bad as your own. What fine insanity,
    perpetuated stupidity, and ignorance that you all cause. Wait, maybe I
    should thank you. This is why my images sell and yours do not. As long as
    you spew and spew again your stupidity any new photographers will still be
    nothing but lowly snapshooters like yourself. I'll never have any
    competition!

    Joel Connor, Feb 24, 2010
  19. Alan Lichtenstein

    NameHere Guest

    Because we all already know that you're nothing but a pretend-photographer
    role-playing troll who doesn't even own a camera much less used either
    program. That's why.

    NameHere, Feb 24, 2010
  20. I'm pretty much with the Duck on this. Mac for 20 years plus;
    GraphicConverter is a fabulous program for the price, but PSE is easier
    to use, as is PS, for me at least.
    And I am a Lightroom early adopter.

    John McWilliams, Feb 25, 2010