    able to see what kind of "HDR Expert" you really are so everyone can better
    assess you lame-assed snapshooter of a troll's advice.

    LOL!

    LOL!, Feb 25, 2010

  2. Alan Lichtenstein

    John A. Guest

    That wouldn't apply, then, anyway.
    I'm on Windows here, so I can't help on that issue.
    No 16-bit yet, but they're working on 32-bit floating-point by way of
    their GEGL project.

    John A., Feb 25, 2010

  3. I tried it [GIMP] a couple of times, but (if it hasn't been improved) it
    Same impression here.

    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 25, 2010
  4. Alan Lichtenstein

    NameHere Guest

    Any fool that's had their head stuck up their ass in only one program all
    their life will find all others non-intuitive. Just like those that stick
    and drown their head in a bible will have no comprehension of the real
    world. I use many editors. The only one I find a pain in the ass to use is
    PhotoSlop.

    NameHere, Feb 25, 2010
  5. Alan Lichtenstein

    Chris H Guest

    You will note that many of us have tried lots of programs, including
    GIMP and found GIMP was not very good.
    I thought it was more religious that reality.

    Chris H, Feb 25, 2010
  6. Alan Lichtenstein

    SMS Guest

    Your best bet for now is Photoshop Elements. As others have pointed out,
    you can often get it at no charge because it is bundled with various
    hardware, but even buying it it's less than $85 for the Mac version (the
    PC version is less, often available for $50).

    For about $80 you can purchase Photoline for Mac
    ("http://www.pl32.com/"). It lacks some features of Photoshop (though it
    also has some features that are lacking in Photoshop), and the user
    interface is not wonderful, but it's cheap and powerful. With each new
    version more of the user interface issues that users have complained
    about are corrected. Some of the documentation is lacking, especially in
    terms of the English, as the authors are German. My favorite line in the
    release notes for 15.50 is where they explain that: "The Histogram
    Correction dialog is now arranged clearlier." It may not be the best
    program for a beginner in terms of usability, but it's not terribly hard
    to figure out how to do things either.

    OTOH, Photoshop is part of an integrated system with far more third
    party support, much of which extends to Elements. One big plus is that
    if you ever need any assistance doing something esoteric on Photoshop,
    or Elements it's easy to find answers. Not so easy on Photoline, where
    often you'll find you can do the same task that you can do in Photoshop,
    but that it's non-intuitive, and since it's a relatively unknown program
    outside Germany or the EU, help in English is especially hard to come by.

    SMS, Feb 25, 2010
  7. Alan Lichtenstein

    ray Guest

    Strangely enough, that has been me experience, as well. I've used GIMP
    more than photoshop and I find photoshop to be less 'intuitive' - as has
    been pointed out - 'intuitive' is colored highly by your experience.

    ray, Feb 25, 2010
  8. Alan Lichtenstein

    ray Guest

    I don't recall exactly when it was implemented, but GIMP does indeed
    support 16 bits per color. The last time I checked, it was not selected
    by default.

    ray, Feb 25, 2010
  9. []
    "Intuitive" is also a function of the operating system and its
    conventions - one reason why Windows programs ported to the Mac and
    vice-versa can be more difficult for a user well-versed and familiar with
    the accepted conventions and keystrokes for the native OS.

    I've used many editing programs, both on my own PC and when helping
    others, and GIMP rates bottom in those I've used. I haven't used
    Photoshop enough to comment on it one way or the other.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 25, 2010
  10. Alan Lichtenstein

    ray Guest

    Maybe you're using the wrong OS ;)

    ray, Feb 25, 2010
  11. What OS you use isn't the point, as I tried to indicate. If you are using
    Windows, you expect the programs to behave like Windows programs, equally
    if you are using a Mac OS, or if you are using Linux you expect a basic
    familiarity with the software. The problems arise when a program designed
    for one OS is ported to another without due consideration for the
    conventions of the new OS.

    If someone finds GIMP suits their natural way of working, that's great.
    Like a number of other posters, I did not.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 25, 2010
  12. The only intitive interface in the world is the human nipple
    --- and a full third of the babies have to *learn* that interface!

    The best a *program* can do is to conform to common assumptions
    about how things work --- and even there it's learned reactions
    and asssumptions and they differ from person to person.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intuition_(philosophy)
    disagrees with that description, as do I.

    You describe not an intuitive interface to a program, you describe
    a mind reading program. Actually, the latter may be easier to
    accomplish than the former: humans are creatures of habit, and
    it's often not too hard to extract the most likely action(s) by
    observing past behaviour and using statistics or neuronal networks.
    It could, if you wanted it to. But would a software that's correct
    in 80% of the time what you want to do outweight one where you'd
    have to tell it to undo and please do what you want in 20% of the
    time --- i.e. causing you to have to stop, consider the current
    state, and act upon that state instead of always using the long
    learned actions which are already in muscle memory?

    Imagine writing a posting and every 5th word you need to go back
    and correct the word because the program guessed wrong ...

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Feb 25, 2010
  13. Alan Lichtenstein

    Cal Rollins Guest

    Let us all know where to show up for your Wikigraduation, where you get
    your Wikidiploma from your Wikiprofessors. Your whole education authored by
    moronic people who write wikipages all day and night in an attempt to prove
    to themselves and their mothers upstairs that they really aren't losers.
    After having spewed their ignorance upon many wikipages they then find a
    purpose in life in guarding and defending that their ignorance and their
    ignorance alone remains on their wikipages 24/7/52. Cross-referenced of
    course with wikipages displaying the same ignorance where they obtained
    their own Wikidiplomas.

    Sometimes when bored I'll refer everyone to a wikipage right after I have
    edited it with some outlandish nonsense, even more silly than what that
    page originally contained, just to see how stupid they all are. The
    wikipage-author will change it back to their spewed stupidity within a day
    anyway, unless they have died in their basement. An entertainment of
    double-duty.

    Do people always hold their forefinger and thumb in this shape "L" and wave
    to you in that manner? If not, they should all be doing just that. Perhaps
    one of them will take pity on you and tell you what it means someday.

    Cal Rollins, Feb 25, 2010
  14. Alan Lichtenstein

    J. Caldwell Guest

    I guess that's why everyone was using PhotoSlop for the last decade with
    its 16-bit platform, only changed to a 32-bit math platform in CS4. They
    could have all been running it on Windows 3.1 all these years and they
    wouldn't have noticed any difference, other than it would have ran faster.

    Boy are you ever ignorant to what's really happening, aren't you.

    J. Caldwell, Feb 25, 2010
  15. Alan Lichtenstein

    Guest Guest

    yes, you are

    Guest, Feb 25, 2010
  16. Alan Lichtenstein

    R Davis Guest

    That's one of the nice things about Photoline. You can configure every last
    command in that program to any short-cut key combo of your choice. If
    you've had a favorite way of running other editors you can do the same in
    Photoline. You can even design your own right-click context menus in it,
    variable depending on if you are right-clicking on a layer, background
    image, or the workspace. But then, Photoline has so many more commands and
    features than programs like photoslop, there's a good 80% or more of them
    that they'll have to learn even what they are used for before they can
    think of assigning a keypress to them. Just the 33 adjustment layer types
    alone will have them confused. If they design their own adjustment-layer
    types using the "custom" option, to create their own library of adjustment
    layers ... well, let's just say they'd have a lot of learning and growing
    up to do.

    R Davis, Feb 25, 2010
  17. Alan Lichtenstein

    Guest Guest

    same with photoshop.

    Guest, Feb 25, 2010
  18. Alan Lichtenstein

    ray Guest

    Haven't tried ufraw recently, have you?

    ray, Feb 26, 2010
  19. Alan Lichtenstein

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    I also recommend Photoshop Elements. For HDR, try Photomatix. You can
    download a trial version of Photomatix from http://www.hdrsoft.com/
    where you can also find a lot of information about HDR photography.

    Shawn Hirn, Feb 26, 2010
  20. Alan Lichtenstein

    tony cooper Guest

    Never. Why should I? I shoot RAW and upload into either Lightroom or
    Bridge converting my NEF file to a .dng.

    tony cooper, Feb 26, 2010