Problems with sound card

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rainer Schmandt, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. Hi NG,

    I have the following situation:

    1. I bought an "old" computer with a small casing (size WxDxH 28x34x8.5
    cm)
    (PII-MMX, 300 Mhz, Award Modular Bios V 4.51 PC, OS MS 98SE) for my
    daughter.
    2. The sound was not working.
    3. There is no separate sound card. It is implemented on the mother
    board.
    4. I took a sound card (Creative Labs '95) from a not working computer
    and
    mounted it into the spare PCI-slot.
    5. I installed the drivers for the board.
    6. The sound is working now but I cannot start games from the CD-ROM.
    I have access to each file on the CD-ROM but starting the exe-file of
    the game
    the computer freezes completely and I have to restart the computer.
    7. Demounting the sound card the games are running well again.

    What is wrong?

    Rainer

    Rainer Schmandt, Jun 22, 2003

  2. Rainer Schmandt

    Jimchip Guest

    The drivers for the 'sound card (Creative Labs '95)'?
    What game? How does it install? The README file may say something about
    Creative Labs '95 compatibility.

    The games may not be compatible with the sound card/drivers. While the sound
    may work (sorta) you may need updated drivers for games. Try new drivers
    after you make sure the card/drivers are installed correctly and you find
    that you still have trouble with the game.

    The place to start is to enter the Award BIOS setup, disable the 'onboard'
    sound, put in the PCI card, let 98 find the new hardware, tell it you 'have
    disk', install the drivers from 5. above, then use device manager to check
    for conflicts.

    Do you have PCI Steering enabled, for example.

    Jimchip, Jun 22, 2003

  3. Rainer Schmandt

    Mash Guest

    IRQ conflicts, other memory address conflicts...

    Solution 1. Remove the extra sound card, find the sound chip on your mother
    board, look up the model#, and search the Net for drivers that will activate
    the on-board sound card.
    Solution 2 (if possible). Check the BIOS setup for an option 'disable
    on-board sound' or something similar. If you're able to disable the on-board
    card, you're in business too.

    Mash

    Mash, Jun 22, 2003
  4. Rainer Schmandt