    chipset drivers changed (I don't know what the hell that means or if I've
    even got it right as the call centre staff have difficult to understand
    accents). Does anybody here have any idea what to do please?

    The White Lady, May 4, 2004

  2. The White Lady

    SgtMinor Guest

    SgtMinor, May 4, 2004

  3. The White Lady

    Guest Guest

    I fear that the OP is having problems with a USB modem and
    not an Ethernet adapter. But I hope that you are right.

    Otherwise:

    All I can think of is to suggest that the OP tries the modem
    with a different computer, to at least eliminate the
    possibility of the problem being a defective modem.

    I am wary of making suggestions about mobo firmware updates
    and replacing drivers. If the OP makes a mistake, he could
    end up with a dead system.

    What do you reckon?

    Guest, May 4, 2004
  4. The White Lady

    anon Guest

    Might want to check with yr sys manu. or mobo manu as to whether there are
    any USB updates

    anon, May 4, 2004
  5. The White Lady

    SgtMinor Guest

    I hadn't considered the USB connection, even though I once (temporarily)
    hooked up my own cable modem that way. It was not a positive
    experience. Some other USB considerations are mentioned here:

    http://forums.itweek.co.uk/thread.jsp?forum=7&thread=29699&message=151251

    SgtMinor, May 4, 2004
  6. The White Lady

    chris Guest

    what make/model of modem is it. What ISP provided it?

    chris, May 4, 2004

  7. Sagem [email protected] 800 adsl modem from tiscali

    The White Lady, May 4, 2004
  8. The White Lady

    Dan Shea Guest

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but that modem only has a USB connection, no
    ethernet, so you're connecting it to your computer via USB.

    The Tiscali tech who told you it was a problem with an extension or
    cordless phone is out to lunch. The Tiscali tech who told you that it
    could be a) a wonky modem or b) you need to update your chipset
    drivers is more likely correct. I'm inclined to think the problem is
    with the modem or possibly the modem drivers. This is a regular ol'
    USB 1.1 device, and should work fine on any ol' USB connection. Got
    any other USB devices? Any problems using them?

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, May 4, 2004