    closed back up. And it works fine.

    But if you've already done all that. You're sure it's not in
    self-timer mode or something like that?

    Mark Johnson, Dec 13, 2003

  2. Hi Mark,

    yes. I did it several time without result. I tried to switch off with the
    power switch and also I removed batteries with lens in prior position.
    Nada.

    It should not be a problem with self timer. The camera goes to factory
    settings after power on (says my manual ;-)).
    I can switch the camera only in play-back/view mode. All other modes (with
    lens movement) caused this weird error.

    Waldemar

    Waldemar Krzok, Dec 13, 2003

  3. Waldemar,

    What kind of cards are you using? I've heard of problems with certain
    types of CF cards. Have you tried it with the card that came with the
    camera?

    Charlie Dilks, Dec 13, 2003
  4. Mark Johnson

    anc Guest

    Im probably stating the obvious here but on the Olympus C4000 I get the
    exact same problem if I switch on the camera without removing the lens cap
    or with flat batteries. Id check the charge on your batteries first.

    anc, Dec 13, 2003
  5. Yes Charlie, it is the original equipped XD256MB Card from Olympus.

    Waldemar

    Waldemar Krzok, Dec 13, 2003
  6. It was the reason why I changed batteries ;-) I switched the camera with
    removed cap, and the lens starved in a certain position. I replaced the
    batteries with fresh rechargable: described error appeared. I replaced the
    accumulators with plain alcaline cells: same error. It looks like the lens
    got a new wrong reference position 1mm off housing.

    Is there any "hard reset" possible with this camera? Perhaps is there a
    possibility to download a new firmware? I really do not know, what to do.

    Waldemar

    Waldemar Krzok, Dec 13, 2003
  7. Too bad.
    I wish you luck, but it doesn't sound good.

    Charlie Dilks, Dec 13, 2003
  8. You can't download firmware for the Olympus.

    You said you left the batteries out for a while. I've heard they need to
    be out "overnight." I guess that's more than 8 hours.

    There is a hard reset method.
    Press the remote/self timer button and the custom button at the same
    time for more than 3 seconds. See page 193 of the PDF manual.

    They're the two buttons on the top right of the camera between the zoom
    lever and the mode dial.

    Charlie Dilks, Dec 13, 2003
  9. Ok, I'll try it overnight. Perhaps it will help. I hope so.
    yes. I tried this one. I thought about more "harder" reset. One just before
    throwing the camera against a stone ;-)

    Ok, anyway, thanks for your help. I'll report tomorrow if removing batteries
    for the night helped.

    Waldemar

    Waldemar Krzok, Dec 13, 2003
  10. I agree with the poster regarding leaving the batteries out for an extended
    period of time. Overnight might not be enough; I'd go for 24 hours. I
    realize, however, you might not have the patience for that, with your trip
    coming up in just a day or two!

    Wishing you good luck-

    --Mike--
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com

    Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles, Dec 13, 2003
  11. Hi,

    I hope, this is the right forum to ask...

    I owe an Olympus C5050. Today, I got a weird error. I replaced the
    batteries, as several times before. After I'd switched the camera on, the
    lenses started to move out (as usual), but after reaching its final
    position, they went back to a position abt 1mm from end point and stopped.
    Then the camera tried to get the lenses back, beeping. The cyclus repeated
    3 times and the camera switched off. I tried it many times, including
    removing batteries for few hours to enforce reset, bot without success.
    Can somebody help me? I'm going for a bussiness trip on Monday and I need
    this camera badly!

    greetings from rainy Berlin

    Waldemar

    Waldemar Krzok, Dec 13, 2003
  12. Mark Johnson

    Don F Guest

    -----------------------
    I can't offer a suggestion for your camera fix but I have a suggestion on
    how to force a quick reset. The best way to quickly force a reset is to
    physically ground the power input terminals. This shorts the capacitor that
    is used to maintain a voltage while changing batteries and this is a common
    method used as a remedy for some computer lockups.
    The only problem is that you have to be able to find the battery power
    terminals. I don't own your camera so maybe others here may or may not
    approve of this method as a possible solution.
    Don F

    Don F, Dec 13, 2003
  13. I think this is a mechanical problem, possibly with one of the limit
    switches or such that tell the microcontroller the status of the lens.
    Embedded micros are up to weird things when they get wrong/confusing
    information. Your best recourse is probably a repair shop.
    Regards,
    Eugene

    Eugene Kaplounovski, Dec 14, 2003
  14. Mark Johnson

    Dave Guest

    Ugh, does the lenscap on a C4000 restrict the lens from extending? I
    am glad that on a C750 it does not.

    Dave, Dec 14, 2003
  15. Hi folks,

    thanks to your all for helping me. Bottom line: I got bosses camera for the
    trip and my Olympus will go for warranty repair after I'm back.
    I'll call Olympus service line tomorrow morning anyway, perhaps they have an
    idea how to solve this problem in a minute.

    Now I have to pack some warm clothes for my trip to Moscow...

    Waldemar

    Waldemar Krzok, Dec 14, 2003
  16. Mark Johnson

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that (Eugene Kaplounovski) stated
    that:
    I'd call the manufacturer's help line first though.

    Lionel, Dec 15, 2003
  17. so, I'm back from cold Moscow...
    I left the camera for whole week without batteries, nothing...
    The camera is now on the trip to Olympus Service Center. I hope, it will
    come back helthy.

    I wish a merry Christmas and a happy New Year. And nice photos, of course.

    Waldemar

    Waldemar Krzok, Dec 21, 2003
  18. I hope it is covered by warranty.
    Olympus does good work. It should be fine.
    Thanks, and the same to you.

    Charlie Dilks, Dec 21, 2003