Problems With IDE / DVD Burner

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pyrosarco, Dec 30, 2006.

  1. pyrosarco

    pyrosarco Guest

    Alright,

    Lately I have been having problems with my DVD +/- RW drive. One, it
    does not want to read anything that I put into it with out me going
    into My Computer and clicking on the D: drive. It will then read it,
    but isn't it supposed to pop a menu or something?

    Two, it won't burn DVDs or CDs at all any more. I will start a burn
    process and it will go through the motions but it wont burn. The disk
    doesn't appear to be spinning while I am burning...

    Three, I wiped my computer and reinstalled Windows XP to see if that
    would change anything because the drive used to work. For the past 2
    weeks it hasn't. I have both Roxio Easy CD Creator 6 and Nero 7 Ultra
    Edition and neither will successfully burn a disk.

    Four, I was messing around in Device Manager to see if I could update a
    driver for it, but it says it has the latest windows driver. Short of
    pulling the damn thing out of my machine, I cannot tell you what it is.
    I did however try and disconnect the IDE cable and return it, to no
    success in how it worked.

    Five, I am still in device manager under 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers'
    and I notice that I have 3 Primary IDE Channels, 3 Secondary IDE
    Channels, and 3 Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers. What is
    that? I only have one HDD connected and my DVD drive. I did a quick
    search in google and all I found was a dead link to an nVidia site that
    mentioned these three channels.

    Could someone help me? I am willing to provide further information.

    Thanks,

    pyrosarco, Dec 30, 2006

  2. pyrosarco

    beenthere Guest

    You Can`t and Shouldn`t try to use Roxio and Nero on the
    same machine, `cos they tend to conflict with each other.

    So uninstall both, then re-install one (perhaps Nero).

    bw..OJ

    beenthere, Dec 30, 2006

  3. pyrosarco

    pyrosarco Guest

    Nero and Roxio never had problems before when I was burning with both
    of them. It' s definitely more of a hardware issue than a software one.

    pyrosarco, Dec 30, 2006
  4. pyrosarco

    Meat Plow Guest

    Replace the drive which you should have done in the first place before
    jumping thru all those hoops.

    Meat Plow, Dec 30, 2006