Problems with group - or my server? (was: Black Bar Problem Solved)

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by John Savard, Apr 7, 2004.

  1. John Savard

    John Savard Guest

    Two days ago, I tried to make a post to this group, and it did not
    show up in Google Groups. As well, the number of new posts on this
    group yesterday and the day before were very small.

    The post I was trying to make is the following:

    The "Black Bar" problem SOLVED !!!

    Yes!

    On my web site, at

    http://home.ecn.ab.ca/~jsavard/other/aspint.htm

    I have added a technical SOLUTION to the problem of those annoying
    black bars when watching movies that don't fit your screen.

    Of course, this solution depends on the availability of a flat panel
    display device that has no border around the edges whatsoever; this is
    a characteristic that current displays have not yet achieved.

    Based on an old mathematical puzzle about fixing a rug with a hole in
    the middle, instead of requiring some futuristic display with
    fantastic technology in which pixels flow like water to any desired
    shape, all I do is cut the screen into two pieces - which can fit
    together in two different ways, yielding two different aspect ratios.

    And I offer this ingenious solution to the world, free of patent
    restrictions - unless, of course, somebody else HAS already thought of
    it first and has patented it.

    John Savard

    John Savard, Apr 7, 2004

  2. John Savard

    Mike Kohary Guest

    It is your server - both your original posts made it, and this one as well.

    By the way, I don't see that black bars are a "problem". The simple fact is
    that different presentations use different aspect ratios, and there's no
    reason that television of any shape should be "fixed" at one aspect ratio -
    if it can't be done physically, it can certainly be done virtually (i.e.
    black bars). While your article is interesting enough as a matter of
    curiosity, I don't see any real-world application for this.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 7, 2004

  3. John Savard

    John Savard Guest

    Mike Kohary posted:
    I'm glad to hear that your server showed all three of my attempts to
    post this; but Google only showed my third attempt. So the problem
    can't only be that my server failed to show some incoming posts - such
    as your reply to the third attempt.
    I know that the idea _is_ one that seems rather silly.

    Black bars are a "problem" based on the theory: "I paid good money for
    every square inch of that screen, and I don't want any of it to be
    going to waste!".

    Of course, what counts is the artistic work, and not the device used
    to display it... but large screen TV sets _do_ cost money.

    Because it would add greatly to the expense of a display device to
    allow such a join of parts to be visibly seamless, it is indeed
    impractical, and is more in the way of a satire of the futility of the
    quest to abolish black bars.

    BUT there might be a practical application in some specialized cases.
    What about projection TV sets using DLP technology? Here, one could
    use two stepped triangular arrays, with a lens system putting them
    into coincidence at one of two possible positions. Fewer pixels per
    chip means higher yields, so under some circumstances that might
    counterbalance the high cost of a second lens system and the
    associated electronics for precise positioning.

    John Savard

    John Savard, Apr 8, 2004
  4. John Savard

    Mike Kohary Guest

    I'll pay you the respect of simply being blunt: IMO, that attitude is the
    problem, not the black bars. (I understand you're simply relaying the
    statement as given by others, and that it doesn't necessarily represent your
    position on the topic.) Such a statement shows a lack of appreciation for
    film art and a general lack of respect for the artist's original work. I
    have little respect for it, and little patience in dealing with it.

    Just being honest. :)

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 10, 2004