Problems with Firefox - need help desperately!

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Bonnie, Sep 26, 2008.

  1. Bonnie

    Bonnie Guest

    I am running Firefox 3.0.2 (was Firefox 3.0.1 - had same problems) in
    Windows Vista.

    For months now I've been having a problem with Firefox where my
    extensions won't show up. I mainly use the StumbleUpon toolbar and
    AdBlock Plus. Neither of these will work anymore, no matter what I
    do.

    Also, other problems I'm having with Firefox include:

    1. Firefox does not shut down properly. It appears to close but is
    still running in the background. I have to click on CTR-ALT-DEL and
    shut it down from the task manager. If I don't do this, Firefox will
    not open the next time I double-click on the icon on my desktop. It
    will say it is still running.

    2. When I right-click on a link to open it in a new tab, sometimes
    options will be missing from the pop-up menu that comes up. If I right-
    click again a few minutes later, there will be nothing in that menu,
    just a gray rectangle. This also happens with my Tools menu.

    3. Sometimes when I am posting on a forum and I click on the button to
    post, nothing happens. Same thing with links that used to open in a
    new window. They just don't open.

    I have gone to the Mozilla tech support forums, and have done
    everything they have asked me to do. They are plain out of ideas.
    Things I have tried include:

    1. A simple re-install over the one I had already.

    2. Creating a new profile and installing my extensions on the new
    profile.

    3. Completely uninstalling Firefox and re-downloading/re-installing.

    4. Running it in Safe Mode.

    5. Someone on a support forum told me to delete something called the
    "localstore.rdf" file and then re-installing Firefox.

    6. Uninstalling Firefox, then running a registry cleaner called
    CCleaner to get rid of any existing Firefox files.

    There's probably some others, but these are just the ones I can think
    of now. I am at the end of my rope. I have to use Internet Explorer
    now and it is just too damned slow and I hate seeing all these ads
    telling me to lose weight. What can I do? Nothing seems to work.

    If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it. I need some peace of
    mind!

    Bonnie, Sep 26, 2008

  2. have you gone to their site and see if an current one
    is available? You can start here:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox
    this is a known problem and basically there's nothing
    you can do about it, yet! The devs can't put their
    hands on it. Its either a bad extension, a bad coded
    website, or a bad java website. It could also be
    because you've listed to some audio or watched a video
    and FF is trying to close that down, and not doing so
    good at it. It could also be a dozen of other things.
    So, until they can find what the problem is, the only
    solution is what you've been doing.
    thats new to me. I have no idea. If you right click
    on a link, then you get one type of right-click menu.
    But if you click outside of a link, then you'll get a
    different type of menu.
    same as #2
    no, that won't solve it
    I would have suggested to create a new profile and test
    it out first. Then add the extensions one by one and
    test it out until you find the problem one.
    no, that usually doesn't work
    sometimes it works
    no, thats wrong. You delete the file from your profile
    with the program closed.
    I doubt it, but then you never know
    If the test profile doesn't work, then try scanning
    your system for virus, trojans, worms, malware, and
    other problems. For example, I had downloaded a
    program that was very well known. Yet, it also
    installed a P2P program, that bogged down my system
    terribly. When I removed that p2p, then things picked up.
    Also, some extensions can cause lots of problems. You
    can read about them here:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

    Last, if you don't get the results you want, then try
    asking for help on the official Mozilla newsgroup of
    mozilla.support.firefox on the news.mozilla.org server.
    There's better expert help there than on the forum.
    By the way, which forum are you talking about? There's
    about 2 or 3 of them that I'm aware of.

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Sep 26, 2008

  3. Bonnie

    Bonnie Guest

    The add-ons I'm having problems with are very popular ones and are
    constantly updated (StumbleUpon and AdBlock Plus). The problem is not
    an incompatiblity.

    I use AVG and it has not detected anything...I also use Spybot, and it
    has not detected anything either.

    I don't know what you mean by a test profile. I thought I said I
    already tried that. :( Do you mean doing something else with it?
    'Cause that's what I already did.

    The Mozilla forum is the one I went to (support.mozilla.com). This
    newsgroup was one of the other options for support, that's why I came
    here. I have to use Google groups, can I access this other newsgroup
    server through them?

    I really don't know what to do. :( I feel like I have literally tried
    everything.

    Bonnie

    Bonnie, Sep 26, 2008
  4. Bonnie

    John Doe Guest

    I have had a similar problem, but it appeared to occur when starting
    the browser from a shortcut/link to a FedEx or UPS website. After
    double clicking on that link and waiting too long, I would start the
    browser from the generic link. Then after shutting Firefox down,
    some error message would appear (that appeared to be related to the
    linked-to UPS website I had tried to start prior).

    If that problem were persistent, one workaround would be to leave
    the browser open.

    John Doe, Sep 26, 2008
  5. Bonnie

    Bonnie Guest

    My problems seem to get worse the longer I keep Firefox open. I
    really don't understand how your problem relates to mine, though. :(

    Bonnie

    Bonnie, Sep 26, 2008
  6. did you even read the link I provided about problem
    extensions? If you did, then you'd see that adblock is
    one of them.
    Just because you use avg and spyblock doesn't mean
    anything. You need to use many others. Some programs
    will watch certain ones, while others might catch other
    problems.
    no, you said you created a new profile and put all your
    extensions in it. I said create a new profile, test it
    out. Does it run slow? Does it cause any problems? If
    not, then add the extensions in one at a time, and test
    that out. Does that extension cause problems? If not,
    then add another. Test that out. If nothing happens,
    then add another, and so forth. Big difference than
    what you said.
    did you even look?:
    http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.firefox/topics
    no, you haven't tried everything!

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Sep 26, 2008
  7. thats because that operation from the website is still
    trying to call up FF. Can you provide some links on
    where this happens?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Sep 26, 2008
  8. Bonnie

    John Doe Guest

    For this particular problem, it can't get worse since it doesn't occur
    until you try to shut Firefox down.
    That's why you are the one asking a question. Mine was a similar
    problem, take my word for it.

    John Doe, Sep 26, 2008
  9. Bonnie

    John Doe Guest

    Yes, if it ever becomes more annoying than a simple workaround.
    Currently it's a nonissue. Thanks.

    John Doe, Sep 26, 2008