Problems with btinternet email

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by JohnDavidson, May 5, 2015.

  1. JohnDavidson

    JohnDavidson Guest

    A colleague has run into problems with his long-standing btinternet email,
    and I'd be grateful for any advice.

    He collects email via Outlook 2010 on his desktop on Mail on his iPhone
    without any problem (both have been running successfully for a couple of
    years) but a few days ago, both stopped collecting mail, indicating that
    there was a problem with UN/PW. So he called me. I was able to access
    webmail via bt.com, but both mail clients were unable to connect, even with
    new accounts being set up (I've also tried setting up a Windows Live Mail
    account, also unsuccessfully), so we called BT, who were convinced that the
    problem was with Outlook and have now spent several days attempting to reset
    the account in Outlook, to no avail.

    I'm convinced that the issue lies on BT's mail servers: with two different
    devices on different networks failing, BT's mail server is the only common
    factor. So I've asked BT to reset the email account on their server, which
    they've so far failed to do.

    Is there a specific technical terminology which I should use with the BT
    support techs so they understand exactly what I want them to do? My request
    so far has been "reset the email account on BT's own mail servers", but I
    fear that's not getting the message across.

    TIA

    JohnDavidson, May 5, 2015

  2. JohnDavidson

    Woody Guest

    BT have been changing their e-mail from Yahoo mail to BT mail and I
    think there is a config change. My father-in-law had a similar problem
    (although I wasn't aware of it) and digging on the BT FAQs found this
    detail.

    IME BT helpdesk is useless.

    Woody, May 5, 2015

  3. JohnDavidson

    JohnDavidson Guest

    A colleague has run into problems with his long-standing btinternet email,
    BT have been changing their e-mail from Yahoo mail to BT mail and I
    think there is a config change. My father-in-law had a similar problem
    (although I wasn't aware of it) and digging on the BT FAQs found this
    detail.

    IME BT helpdesk is useless.

    --------------

    I agree that they're pretty useless. We moved over from Yahoo to BT's own
    servers a while ago, and everything has been working fine since then. The
    issue, which they seem incapable of understanding, is that the settings are
    correct (they have checked, my colleague has checked and I have checked),
    but they persist in insisting that I recreate the account in Outlook, which
    we've done countless times without success, and of course this has no
    influence on the iPhone or Windows Live Mail, which is on a third device on
    a different network.

    <banging my head on the desk>

    JohnDavidson, May 5, 2015
  4. JohnDavidson

    Graham J Guest

    Specific technical terminology - yes - "I'm closing the account!"

    Get the internet connection from a different supplier.

    Get the emai service from another different supplier

    Choose the suppliers according to performance & support.

    Graham J, May 5, 2015
  5. JohnDavidson

    Invalid Guest

    John,

    One thing to check is the iPhone link, or of there is another device
    linked to the account.

    A friend of mine had similar problems with Outlook mail after receiving
    an iPad as a gift. Whoever set up the mail agent on the iPad did so in a
    way that kept the link to BT mail open at all times.

    Admittedly once the IPad was turned off properly (not just put to
    sleep), and the password reset went through she could reconnect Outlook
    - but only until she reconnected the iPad - then the cycle started
    again.

    BT mail did/does not like multiple simultaneous logins - and not only
    rejects the second access attempt, but also forces a password reset as
    it sees the second attempt as a threat. However it doesn't drop the
    already open connection to the iPad.

    Is there any chance that another device is already connected?

    JohnDavidson, May 5, 2015
  7. JohnDavidson

    Woody Guest

    .....such as PlusNet.

    (Stop shouting Graham!)

    Woody, May 5, 2015
  8. JohnDavidson

    Davey Guest

    Or Zen. the Lancastrian one.
    Anything but BT.

    Davey, May 5, 2015
  9. JohnDavidson

    Kraftee Guest

    "Davey" wrote in message
    Or Zen. the Lancastrian one.
    Anything but BT.

    --

    BT's not that bad if you only use the link.

    I left their servers (come to think of it I've never used them) years
    ago.

    Mind you going elsewhere can be a problem when they change the site
    and don't tell the users the new rules or URLs but I eventually got to
    the bottom of that (which reminds me I have to put a fire underneath
    them tomorrow (via the phone).

    Kraftee, May 5, 2015
  10. I have had free email from BT as a result of my dial up account which I
    closed more than 10 years ago, though I have not made much use of it as
    I got email from my broadband supplier. On the whole I can not complain
    except that last year I got an email from Kuoni advertising a holiday.
    The email was routed to both BTinternet and Plusent email accounts.

    I saw the advert on my Plusent account and booked the holiday which was
    very reasonably priced. I then found that BTinternet had not forwarded
    the email to me as they thought it was spam.

    I now have a Plusnet email only account as my current ISP does not offer
    an email service.

    Michael Chare, May 6, 2015
  11. JohnDavidson

    Graham. Guest

    Can he still *send* emails from his account?

    Graham., May 8, 2015
  12. JohnDavidson

    notyalckram Guest

    This has been going on for a couple of years - ever since BT announced thatthey were moving off Yahoo's servers. It was widely rumoured that Yahoo was hacked about two years ago.

    On a fairly frequent (~fortnightly on average), but irregular basis BT decides that your password is invalid and makes you change it. The main cause for this appears to be accessing one's email from multiple devices. I haveOutlook (formerly OE) on my main PC, also maintain it on my phone and tablet and occasionally access it remotely via web mail. Being accessed from multiple IP addresses, possibly simultaneously seems to be the trigger to dothis.

    Quite a PITA, especially if it happens when I am away somewhere and have todo a fiddly password change on a smart phone.

    notyalckram, May 9, 2015
  13. JohnDavidson

    Phil W Lee Guest

    considered Sat, 9 May 2015 09:23:57 -0700 (PDT)
    the perfect time to write:
    This kind of thing is exactly why I run my own domain and mailserver.
    Even if my ISP goes tits up or gets bought out by one of the
    cheapskates (as happened to me twice before, with Demon then Nildram),
    I can change ISP and DNS records and carry on, without even losing any
    mail. For a small payment each year, you can even have a backup
    mailserver in one of the major datacentres, which will hold mail for a
    while and forward it as soon as you are back on-line.

    If I had a business critical need for email (or indeed internet in
    general), I'd have a second line on a different ISP as well, to ensure
    continuity on all but line faults crippling the cabinet.

    Phil W Lee, May 9, 2015
  14. JohnDavidson

    David Wade Guest

    that explains why i never get that problem. I pull my btinternet mail
    into a gmail account and then access every thing via imap or the gmail
    mobile client, which appears to use some http interface. Gmail may make
    me verify via some other route (text message or just entering a phone
    number) but its never made me change my password, even in China....

    David Wade, May 9, 2015
  15. JohnDavidson

    Graham J Guest

    Phil W Lee wrote:
    [snip]
    I have two ADSL connections - mainly to get better bandwith since I am
    in a very rural location just a short distance from the A11 - one with
    Zen, the other (for historical reasons) with Demon.

    The number of occasions when both connections fail simultaneously is
    quite high. I am aware that this is to be expected during a
    thunderstorm, but that isn't very frequent.

    I suspect the problem is OP technicians - whenever they touch anything
    round here then seem to break lots of ADSL connections. Happily the
    failed conenctions usually recover within a few minutes.

    --------------

    Norfolk County Council is supposed to be funding "Better Broadband for
    Norfolk" but the village where I live is fed from a cabinet 3km distant,
    at a road junction. So no chance of VDSL giving any better than ADSL at
    that range. BT show no signs of wanting to put a cabinet actually in
    the village and running all our connections through it.

    There neither any sign of useful 3G as an alternative. Norwich has
    mobile coverage, and there's some high land (! - this is Norfolk,
    remember!) a few miles away where a 3G dongle does get a signal - but
    otherwise - zilch!

    Graham J, May 10, 2015
  16. JohnDavidson

    bert Guest

    I connect from a number of devices but haven't had a password problem
    for months.

    bert, May 10, 2015
  17. JohnDavidson

    notyalckram Guest

    You need to eliminate common mode failures. BT and most other ISP's wire back to the same exchanges so problems there or at the concentrators will knock out both lines.

    For a basic SoHo set up my recommendation is: -

    Draytek 2860vn
    ADSL - BT Infinity
    VDSL - Virgin cable
    3/4G - SIM free dongle (buy P&G SIM if both lines go down)
    Wi-Fi - research sharing arrangements with neighbours in advance or use BT-Fon.

    notyalckram, May 10, 2015
  18. JohnDavidson

    MB Guest

    I don't use BTINTERNET for my main mail source but it is polled with the
    other servers by OUTLOOK. As long as I can remember there being periods
    where this fails and I get the error message on OUTLOOK that the
    password is incorrect, this often gets so annoying that I temporarily
    change the address of the server so it fails to connect.

    This will often continue for hours or even days until it starts working
    reliably.

    I agree that the BT 0800 help desk is rarely of any help. I don't think
    I have contacted them for a mail fault but they are rarely of any help
    when there is a network fault - we had one affecting the whole of North
    of Scotland which was never passed onto the network control people! I
    tend to find BT's own BT Community Forums are better. They are not
    always monitored by BT but there is plenty of expertise there and
    messages do sometimes get through to them.

    https://community.bt.com/

    The other method now is that, like most large companies and
    organisations, BT monitor Twitter and there are plenty of reports of
    people getting a better response by that route.

    MB, May 12, 2015
  19. JohnDavidson

    notyalckram Guest

    I used to get this problem when they first went to Yahoo!, but not recently.

    notyalckram, May 13, 2015
  20. JohnDavidson

    Graham. Guest

    I'm not sure what the generic name for Virgin Media's cabinet to
    premises data technique over co-axial cable is, but I'm pretty certain
    it's not VDSL.

    Graham., May 14, 2015