Problems restarting when Disk Error Checking initiated

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ECLiPSE 2002, Mar 7, 2005.

  1. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    I'm running Win XP home ed. and lately have experienced start up
    problems when I attempt to run the Disk Error Checking Utility in
    Tools.

    What happens is this:
    I select disk error checking and then select restart as is customary
    when running disk error checking. However, windows will not boot up
    and I get a black screen. The only way I can open windows is to do a
    power off and an F8 during the power on sequence. I get to a setup
    text screen where I can select restart at the restart at the last
    normally operating windows operation or words to that effect.

    Has anyone encountered this problem or can someone advise me on what
    may be going awry and suggest a fix?

    Thank you,

    Mary.

    ECLiPSE 2002, Mar 7, 2005