    Its Outlook express 6 and Outlook office 2000

    TIA
    Osiris

    osiris.luxor, Jan 22, 2006

  2. osiris.luxor

    osiris.luxor Guest

    Futher to my above message this is the error message I am getting in
    Outlook express
    Server: 'mail.btopenworld.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110,
    Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

    osiris.luxor, Jan 22, 2006

  3. Here. Use some of these -> ...............

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 22, 2006
  4. osiris.luxor

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
    Full stops? Why would anyone in their right mind need to use full stops?
    Periods? I think they should end all sentences with question marks, don't
    you?

    Toolman Tim, Jan 22, 2006
  5. osiris.luxor

    clot Guest

    But, should one use commas in the middle of a sentence to separate
    linked clauses?

    clot, Jan 22, 2006
  6. osiris.luxor

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In clot spewed forth:
    Only if they have extras available!

    Toolman Tim, Jan 22, 2006
  7. osiris.luxor

    clot Guest

    Rather like: use colons at the start of a list, a semi colon can be used
    to separate linked thoughts and many folk seem to have forgotten how
    useful they can be!

    clot, Jan 22, 2006
  8. osiris.luxor

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In clot spewed forth:

    For sure! I can hardly believe the poor punctuation used in the catalogs our
    advertising agency produces. I spend way too much time proofreading. One fo
    the things they do most is hyphenate excessively. Things like "third-class"
    don't need to be hyphenated. Or they'll put in an ellipsis instead of an
    em-dash. I ask them "what words did you leave out" and they stare at me like
    I'm joking!

    Toolman Tim, Jan 22, 2006
  9. osiris.luxor

    clot Guest

    The one that really winds me up at present is the widespread misuse of
    the semi colon as a colon.

    <GRRRR!!> :(

    clot, Jan 22, 2006
  10. osiris.luxor

    clot Guest

    Agreed, too true. Spelling helps as well! I do have digit problems at
    times. <vbg>

    clot, Jan 22, 2006
  11. osiris.luxor

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In clot spewed forth:
    Let me think - dependant clause/independent clause, right?

    Obviously some sentences are hard to punctuate intelligently. I'd rather
    re-write the sentence than present possible puncuation problems.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 22, 2006
  12. osiris.luxor

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In clot spewed forth:
    Yup. I have a bit of dyslexia myself. Which is good, because the company no
    longer expects me to help with inventory at the end of the year. Give me a 5
    digit number, and I'll mess it up 3 times out of 10. Phone numbers really
    suck. People leaving phone numbers on my voicemail are taking quite a chance
    that they'll never get a return call <g>!

    Toolman Tim, Jan 22, 2006
  13. osiris.luxor

    clot Guest

    Oh dear! It was an oblique response to your "puncuation"; not a comment
    upon any disability that I might have! :)

    clot, Jan 22, 2006
  14. osiris.luxor

    clot Guest

    None taken. All in fun! :)

    clot, Jan 22, 2006
  15. osiris.luxor

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In clot spewed forth:
    Ooops - poorly worded sentence on my part. I meant no implications there.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 22, 2006
  16. osiris.luxor

    clot Guest

    :)

    clot, Jan 22, 2006
  17. How about some of each? Here -> ????????

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 22, 2006
  18. osiris.luxor

    clot Guest

    "Did you have to"! :(

    clot, Jan 22, 2006
  19. One that sets my teeth on edge is the use of quotation marks for emphasis.

    "Big Sale" Today

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 22, 2006
  20. Chances are that if a decent writer has to think much about intrasentence
    punctuation, there's a better way to write it.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 22, 2006