    have. I checked and my computer is capable of running the version that I
    want to install.

    Please advise.

    Mark, Jan 8, 2011

  2. Do you have tried to boot from the installation DVD, so you could format the
    drive where Windows is installed?

    / Anders

    Anders Boholdt-Petersen, Jan 8, 2011

  3. You can't run the install of a 64-bit version from within the 32-bit
    version. Your only option is to boot off the 64-bit version DVD, and do a
    custom install. This will allow you to install a new, clean copy of the
    64-bit version.

    Before you do any install, please back up your computer. AND, may I strongly
    suggest running the Windows Easy Transfer (WET) program before you attempt
    this. WET will allow you to save off both data and settings to a safe place
    and then restore them to the new version of Windows when you rebuild as a
    64-bit machine. (note: WET will not move applications -- you have to
    reinstall all your applications after the install of Windows completes --
    but it _will_ give you an up to date report of what applications are
    installed and which ones still need to be installed.)

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Jan 8, 2011
  4. Mark

    Steve Foster Guest

    You must boot from the x64 DVD. You cannot "upgrade" your existing
    version of Windows (which is what running Setup from within Windows
    tries to do).

    Steve Foster, Jan 8, 2011
  5. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Sorry if i am missing something really obvious here but error pops up when
    i place the dvd in the drive. If I put the disk in the drive then reboot
    will this work or will I have to format my hard drive?

    Mark, Jan 8, 2011
  7. Mark

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    You have autorun turned on so the DVD is auto-running.
    Just re-boot with the DVD in the drive - assuming your BIOS is set up to
    boot from DVD first.

    NB - note what others have said about backing up your data!!!

    Jeff Gaines, Jan 8, 2011
  8. Mark

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    Before booting with the DVD in the disc drive, read your motherboard
    manual so that you know what key do you have to press during boot for
    choosing the boot device.
    Sometimes it is F8, others is F3. I all the depends on the BIOS
    manufacturer.
    You also have to option to go to BIOS setup (usually pressing DEL) and
    change the boot order.
    But that takes more steps.
    I always use the "F8" approach and install Windows 7 from a pen drive,
    not a DVD drive.
    It is quite faster, 15 min average.
    And don't forget to back up your Documents, Favorites, etc. folders! I
    always keep them in a separate partition so that formatting and
    installing a new OS doesn't touch them.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 8, 2011
  9. Mark

    Mark Guest

    My computer isnt setup to boot from the dvd first and that is where I've
    went wrong. I'll change that and try again. I've already moved any files
    that I want to keep to either dvd's or a small external hard drive so and I
    have downloaded 64bit drivers for things like my printer so dont anticipate
    too many more problems...

    Thanks for the help anyway.

    Mark, Jan 9, 2011
  10. Mark