    setting) to "Dynamic". Would that make any difference?
    Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.
    TIA.

    Nanette Newman, Apr 7, 2008

  2. The Ubuntu installer - since it has no files open on the partition to
    reduce - may be able to do the job.
    From a running XP, you cannot reduce the size of "the" open/used partition.
    So leave the work to the Ubuntu installer, but defragment your XP partition
    first, from within XP.
    Do NOT change to dynamic if you want to have other operating systems.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Apr 7, 2008

  3. Nanette Newman

    why? Guest

    x-post trimmed to 24HSHD from alt.os.windows-xp,24hoursupport.helpdesk

    VM, NN and HM all in 1 go.

    Have you tried a live boot CD/DVD of Ubuntu to make sure your hardware
    is detected?

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD
    Backup your XP partition, use an image app like Ghost
    http://www.symantec.com/norton/products/overview.jsp?pcid=br&pvid=ghost14
    or Paragon Drive Backup.

    Test the backup, several times by restoring various files or if you have
    a spare blank drive to it.

    Defragment the drive to move
    http://www.paragon-software.com/products.htm
    the files to the beginning of the disk partition.

    Then do your partition changes, gparted
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
    or again something like Paragon Partition Manager.

    Have a look in previous posts in 24HSHD,
    other tools have been mentioned as well.

    XP lets you create / delete, doesn't let you resize.
    You saw this as well, www.google.com search ubuntu install partitions
    for
    http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing
    This first option (Guided resize and use freed space) is ideal for users
    who want to set up a dual-boot (where you can choose whether you want to
    use Windows or Ubuntu each time you boot up your computer) but know very
    little about setting one up. You can just drag the division between
    Windows and Ubuntu to make the Windows installation as small or large as
    you want, and Ubuntu will fill up the rest of the space.

    Don't change that. Perhaps you shouldn't having asked that.

    www.google.com search for xp basic dynamic
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314343
    Basic Storage Versus Dynamic Storage in Windows XP

    Even if you just read the warning,

    WARNING: After you convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk, local access
    to the dynamic disk is limited to Windows 2000 and Windows XP
    Professional. Additionally, after you convert a basic disk to a dynamic
    disk, the dynamic volumes cannot be changed back to partitions. You must
    first delete all dynamic volumes on the disk and then convert the
    dynamic disk back to a basic disk. If you want to keep your data, you
    must first back up the data or move it to another volume.

    Me

    why?, Apr 7, 2008
  4.
    Nanette Newman, Apr 7, 2008
  5. Thank you for your replies.
    I now understand why I can't resize a partition in XP using XP disk
    manager and how to go about creating the partition and installing
    Ubuntu on a dual boot PC, thank you. Also thank you for the links.
    Have a virtual pint on me :)

    Nanette Newman, Apr 7, 2008
  6. Nanette Newman

    why? Guest

    YW. PS don't snip all the post you are replying to :)
    Me

    why?, Apr 7, 2008
  7. I'm crossposting this post for a reason, because the content is
    relevant to both groups and so that others can see what others have
    suggested. Please stop removing "alt.os.windows-xp" from this post.
    There's a good boy.

    Nanette Newman, Apr 8, 2008
  8. Nanette Newman

    why? Guest

    x-post trimmed to 24HSHD.

    You lose the context by removing all the previous post, while still
    commenting about it as below.
    Figured that, didn't mention anything about crossposting.
    That's my choice to remove the x-post. I don't want to chase around
    multiple groups, especially those I don't subscribe to and would never
    see any other replies.

    Fine ask away in relevant group using x-post and set the Follow-Up to a
    specific group.

    See right at the bottom of,

    If the article has been crossposted to a few groups for a good reason,
    consider directing followups to your comment to just one of the groups,
    namely the one for which the issue is most on-topic. You would do this
    by including a Followup-To header (among the other headers) containing
    the name of that group.

    Sometimes :)
    <snip>

    Me