Problems connecting to internet through my wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by malfuriouspete, Feb 18, 2008.

  1. this has just started happening recently. I'll be using the internet on my
    wireless network and for some reason my connection will just stop, and I'm
    forced to go through Microsoft Diagnostics to reconnect. This is basically
    what I see through the diagnostics:

    warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name
    or
    address could not be resolved
    warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The
    warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server
    warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name
    or
    address could not be resolved
    warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The
    warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The server name
    or
    address could not be resolved
    error Could not make an HTTP connection.
    error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
    error Could not make an FTP connection.

    Its been happening to my wife's computer as well, connection being dropped
    all the time. I thought it was something with my router but I'm not so sure.
    I'm pretty sure I haven't fooled around with any of the settings recently
    since this has only started happening within the last 2 weeks. Its a huge
    inconvenience more than anything since diagnostics usually restores the
    connection but I'd rather not have to do that every 15 minutes.

    If anyone can help, greatly appreciated

    malfuriouspete, Feb 18, 2008

  2. Hi
    You to check whether it is the Internet connection that get lost or the
    Connection from the computer to the Wireless Router.
    When the errors occurrence run ipconfig /all to see if the computer has a
    local IP address.
    http://www.ezlan.net/ip_mac.html
    It it lost the local IP check the Wireless settings of the Router.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 18, 2008

  3. If you have a 2.4 g phone near the wireless that can cause signal loss. If
    it is a signal loss you can try changing the channel that your wireless
    router is using.

    John Lee Brown, Feb 18, 2008
  4. Hi Jack,

    thanks for the tip, if it happens again, I check the ip address.

    If I lost my IP address you say I need to check the settings on my router.
    Exactly which settings should I look at?

    Also, if I still have a local IP address and this keeps happening, what
    should I do in that situation?

    thanks!

    malfuriouspete, Feb 19, 2008
  5. Hi
    If you still have an address and a connection to the Router, then it could
    be that the Internet connection between your modem and the Router is not
    working well.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 19, 2008
  6. The problem is still happening and i've checked ipconfig /all and I still
    have an IP address, so I guess the problem is between the router and modem.

    If this is definately the case... how to do I fix the problem between the
    router and modem??

    Are there any other possible causes to this problem??? Because like I said
    before, it only started happening recently. I've had this connection for over
    a year now and no problems up until 2 months ago. Should I contact my
    provider??

    thanks

    malfuriouspete, Mar 21, 2008
  8. malfuriouspete

    Zoft Guest

    Hi,
    I just got this same problem today and lost the IP address too. I reset my
    Internet connections to default and the IP address came back but I still
    can't get on the Internet or use the wireless router. I do not know what to
    do either. I also got an error message that says "Hostname www.microsoft.com
    could not be resolved (Error code 0x2afc) Could be either gateway or DNS
    issue."

    Microsoft does not have either error message codes in their database. Help?
    Please.

    Zoft, Jun 1, 2008
  9. malfuriouspete

    Barb Bowman Guest

    You are replying to a thread that is very old. Did you reset your
    broadband modem and routers?

    Did you add any software? Download driver updates?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jun 2, 2008