Problems after moving Wireless PCI card to different PCI slot

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by SFF11, Sep 29, 2005.

  1. SFF11

    SFF11 Guest

    OS: Windows XP SP2
    NIC: Linksys Wireless-G PCI Card
    Router: Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router

    I moved the Wireless PCI card to a different PCI slot (on the same PC)
    as I installed a WinTV card in its place. When I rebooted the machine
    the networking wasn't working so I had to reinstall drivers and
    reconfigure. But it won't work with WPA encryption enabled. When I
    disable all encryption it works fine (NIC receives data from router)
    but when I enable it and it gets its IP, the NIC stops receiving data
    from the router (e.g. 16 sent and 0 recieved in Connection Status
    screen).

    I tried rebooting router, reinstalling NIC & drivers, resetting router,
    creating new passcodes, nothing. All the other wireless clients on the
    network work fine.

    Any fix that saves me from formatting?

    TIA

    SFF11, Sep 29, 2005

  2. SFF11

    Quaoar Guest

    Google winsockxpfix.exe. It might help with corrupted TCP/IP layered
    services.

    Quaoar, Sep 30, 2005

  3. SFF11

    sff11i Guest

    The setup is like this:
    1. PCI-Express (GeForce 6600)
    2. PCI (Wireless NIC)
    3. PCI (WinTV)
    4. PCI (Sound Card)

    No other PCI slots available. I have to put the NIC in 2. because the
    GeForce uses a plug from the PSU that would normally restrict any other
    PCI card next to it but the NIC is one of those thin ones that are half
    size.

    Anyway, I formatted but it didn't help, once I enabled WPA encryption
    there would be no data recieved from the router and would only work
    with all encryption disabled.

    So I've unplugged the WinTV card and went back to the old configuration
    and everything seems to work again including WPA encryption:
    1. PCI-Express (GeForce 6600)
    2. PCI (Empty)
    3. PCI (Sound Card)
    4. PCI (Wireless NIC)

    I find it very strange though and it's definitely a motherboard/PCI
    problem. I should get rid of the soundcard and use the one built into
    the motherboard but the quality of audio isn't good on expensive
    headphones :(

    Thanks for the help though.

    sff11i, Oct 8, 2005