Problem with USB 2.0 Cardbus card and USB2.0 external hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Chuan Shen, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Chuan Shen

    Chuan Shen Guest

    Hi dear all,

    My notebook: Dell Inspiron 2650, P4 1.7GHz, Windows XP home edition
    Service Pack 1.

    I bought a Belkin USB 2.0 Cardbus Card with 2 ports.

    The driver seems to be installed correctly, no errors reported. My USB
    mouse works ok with the USB 2.0 ports. However my USB 2.0 external
    hard drive doesn't work well with the card. Actually it seems my
    laptop can read from the hard drive (I can browse the files in the
    hard drive), but my laptop will be deadlock when I try to copy a file
    or create a new folder or delete something. The task manager can not
    be invoked, and I have to restart my laptop physically.

    My USB 2.0 external hard drive works well with the native 1.0 ports.
    And in order to ensure it is not the problem of my external hard
    drive, I borrowed another USB 2.0 external hard drive (different brand
    and model) and tested it. It behaves exactly the same.

    Thank you for your time and any clues or suggestion will be highly
    appreciated.

    Chuan

    Chuan Shen, Jun 30, 2003

  2. Chuan Shen

    Shep© Guest

    On 30 Jun 2003 10:12:24 -0700, In this world we created
    (Chuan Shen) wrote :

    >Hi dear all,
    >
    >My notebook: Dell Inspiron 2650, P4 1.7GHz, Windows XP home edition
    >Service Pack 1.
    >
    >I bought a Belkin USB 2.0 Cardbus Card with 2 ports.
    >
    >The driver seems to be installed correctly, no errors reported. My USB
    >mouse works ok with the USB 2.0 ports. However my USB 2.0 external
    >hard drive doesn't work well with the card. Actually it seems my
    >laptop can read from the hard drive (I can browse the files in the
    >hard drive), but my laptop will be deadlock when I try to copy a file
    >or create a new folder or delete something. The task manager can not
    >be invoked, and I have to restart my laptop physically.
    >
    >My USB 2.0 external hard drive works well with the native 1.0 ports.
    >And in order to ensure it is not the problem of my external hard
    >drive, I borrowed another USB 2.0 external hard drive (different brand
    >and model) and tested it. It behaves exactly the same.
    >
    >Thank you for your time and any clues or suggestion will be highly
    >appreciated.
    >

    >Chuan

    Try here,
    http://www.usbman.com/Troubleshooter General.htm