Problem With Some Websites Downloading In My Browsers

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SneakyP, Feb 27, 2007.

  1. SneakyP

    SneakyP Guest

    I am perplexed about a few websites not loading in my browser. I know
    this is local to my computer, because other web sites can load the page
    content i.e. web-sniffer.net. The sites do resolve properly, there's
    just no content at all.

    Using:
    Firefox or
    IE 7
    Win XP - not that new Vista crap.

    examples
    caballista.org - site located, then browser attempts load (pauses),
    then....nothing but a blank.

    using web-sniffer.net, site content pops up fine.

    Anyone know about problems which may cause this and what to try to fix
    it.

    --
    SneakyP
    To reply: newsgroup only, what's posted in ng stays in ng.

    Some choose to swim in the potty bowl of nan-ae rather than flush it
    down :0)

    SneakyP, Feb 27, 2007

  2. SneakyP

    Evan Platt Guest

    Go to a DOS prompt (Start, run, CMD <Enter>.

    Type
    telnet www.caballista.org 80 <enter>.

    You should see a quick message about connecting, then a blank blinking
    cursor.
    You won't be able to see what you're typing, but type
    GET / <Enter> <Enter>
    That's GET in all uppercase, a space, then / then Enter twice.

    You should then see the raw HTML of the website.

    If so, your internet connection is fine. Perhaps a firewall?

    If not, what happens?

    Evan Platt, Feb 27, 2007

  3. SneakyP

    SneakyP Guest

    Works finally, see below.
    For the longest time that wasn't working. However,
    trying that one now is getting through, but this one isn't
    pambo.cabspace.com:

    ......"could not open connection to the host, on port 80 Connect failed"

    But, this site can still be fetched at web-sniffer.org and it appears
    that others can get it on their machine as well. My machine is also
    resolving the proper IP address, but nothing is coming from it.

    If this is a firewall issue, if you can call Windows firewall a firewall,
    it's not telling me it's doing anything. I used to use a software
    firewall, but dropped Sygate [Symantec scumwads bought it out].
    Already have a hardware device/firewall that's typical for home DSL
    service.

    SneakyP, Feb 27, 2007
  4. SneakyP

    SneakyP Guest