    Ths is the same cable I used before the re-installation of XP, and the
    network worked fine then
    Thanks Jim, I'll look into that.

    Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°11 + on desktop, Jul 5, 2011

  2. Does this look like it maight do the job?
    http://www.wifibridge.co.uk/

    Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°11 + on desktop, Jul 7, 2011

  3. Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°11 + on desktop

    James Egan Guest

    It looks okay if your tiny machine has the necessary usb power supply
    available. It specifically states it doesn't come with its own dc
    supply so that could be a problem. I think I'd prefer something with
    its own power supply.

    Jim

    James Egan, Jul 7, 2011
  4. How qwould I check whether the usb sockets on my Tiny machine are capable of
    delivering the power necessary. The motherboard ia an MS-6330 Lite:
    http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/msi/6330Lite.htm
    http://uk.ts.fujitsu.com/rl/service...ds/Motherboards/MicroStar/ms6330v5/6330V5.pdf

    I was looking at the D-LinkDWL-2100AP wireless access point yesterday
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=292 which I presume would do the job, is
    supplied with a power supply and is available from ebay ay about the same
    price as the wifi bridge I was looking at earlier.

    I downloaded the user manual and studied it and think that the setting up
    procedure for AP Client mode, but it appears to be way beyond me as I find
    it difficult to fully understand the technical jargon, which makes some of
    the instructions seem rather ambiguous to me.

    Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°11 + on desktop, Jul 7, 2011
  5. Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°11 + on desktop

    James Egan Guest

    I couldn't say. It might be fine.
    Generally speaking access points and bridges are less prevalent and
    therefore cost more than routers which are real cheap 2nd hand on
    ebay, so it's cost efficient to get a cheap router and reconfigure it
    yourself with free firmware to turn it into a bridge or an access
    point.

    I've done it a few times with dd-wrt and they have step by step
    tutorials on their website on how to set up the various
    configurations.

    That particular access point you mention is listed as a work in
    progress in the dd-wrt database so don't get one of those unless the
    native d-link firmware has a client bridge feature.

    Something like this one up tomorrow
    http://tinyurl.com/684ehjd
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/684ehjd
    you should be able to pick up for about a tenner and is very easily
    configurable with the requisite firmware.

    Jim

    James Egan, Jul 8, 2011
  6. Thanks Jim, will look into that. willlet yo know how I get on, as and
    when I have.

    Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°11 + on netbook, Jul 9, 2011
  7. Well I have tried with the D-Link DWL2100AP as I had managed to get one on
    ebay pretty quickly. A friend set it up for me to be configured to a 2wire
    2700HGV router similar to mine and reckoned he got it working fine, and
    shipped it back to me. Unfortunately things are never that easy and I just
    couldn't get it to connect to my router. I could view all the local wfi
    networks on the device, select mine and click apply. The device then goes
    into reboot mode for which there is a 30 second countdown window, but when
    1 second was reached I was presented with the login window again. After
    login again I was returned to the original home page and had to re-select my
    wifi network again. Then I was for ever going round that same cycle without
    any progress.

    It was suggested that the DWL2100AP would be more compatible with a D-Link
    repeater, so I set up a DIR-615 as such connected to router. When viewing
    the local wifi networks the DIR-615 showed up and when selected on the
    DWL2100AP that continuous no progress cycle occurred again exactly as
    before. So I tried connecting my wifi (XP) to the DIR-615, which it seemed
    to do successfully, as hovering over the wifi icon in the systray, showed
    it to be connected to the DIR-615 with excellent signal strength.
    Unfortunate I was not able to open any web pages with my browser or connect
    OE6 on line.

    I looked on the home page of my 2wire 2700HGV router and that definitely
    lists the DIR-615 as one of the devices on my net work.

    I was wondering if anyone had any idea what may be amiss with the set up of
    the DWL2100AP and/or DIR-615 as I have completely run out of ideas now.

    Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°11 + on desktop, Jul 30, 2011
  8. Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°11 + on desktop

    James Egan Guest

    I'll remind you what I said in my last post.

    <quote>
    That particular access point you mention is listed as a work in
    progress in the dd-wrt database so don't get one of those unless the
    native d-link firmware has a client bridge feature.
    </quote>

    On the face of it, it isn't capable of being configured as a client
    bridge.

    I know a little more about the DIR-615 because I've got one which I
    re-configured with dd-wrt firmware.

    Unfortunately (with the DIR-615 I have here anyways), and it's
    something I didn't find out until I reflashed the firmware, it can't
    operate connected to your 2wire in client bridge mode because of
    something to do with the chipset but it can become a wireless client
    or a repeater bridge.

    You don't want it in wireless client mode because although your Tiny
    machine would connect to all the other machines and the Internet okay,
    the connection would be one way and the other machines would not be
    able to access the Tiny.

    The issue with running it as a repeater bridge is that half your
    wireless bandwidth will be lost for anything connecting to the DIR-615
    (ie the tiny) because it has to transmit AND receive everything
    wirelessly. However, it will still work with all machines being able
    to share files and you may not even notice the overhead when
    connecting to the Internet unless you have a superfast Internet
    connection.
    So your next step is to reconfigure the firmware on the DIR-615 to run
    dd-wrt. Look it up on the dd-wrt website. You can download the correct
    firmware easy enough and then follow these instructions to install it,
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DIR-615C
    then read about setting up a "repeater bridge" mode here
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Tutorials

    Note: if you install this firmware and your particular version of the
    DIR-615 *does* have an option for client bridged mode then that is
    what you want rather than a repeater bridge.

    Jim

    James Egan, Aug 1, 2011
  9. At last I think I've got it working. I called out a local professional guy
    last week and after a couple of hours checking everything and trying a few
    things the only suggestion that he could make was use a couple of home
    plugs. I wonder why no-one else had suggested that, or even why I hadn't
    thought of it? He said that he'd bring a couple round for me to try later
    this week and could supply them for about £45 should I wish to take that
    route. He then left with no charge as he hadn't actually sorted it out.
    Later that day (Thursday) my mouse froze leaving the cursor stranded mid
    screen and the keyboard also froze which meant I couldn't turn off the
    computer in the conventional way. Switching off at the mains and then
    trying a reboot change nothing. I managed to reboot into safe mode as well
    all to no avail. Tried a wired mouse in place of wifi intellimouse I
    normally use and that wouldn't work either. So it was boot up from the XP
    CD, format and reinstall XP again. After all that rigmarole and
    re-installing all my software I tried with the crossover ethernet cable
    again and still couldn't get the Novatech (XP) Desktop to share broadband
    with the Tiny (W98) Desktop. Then a brainwave! Why not try a network
    bridge (again - it hadn't worked last time though) between wifi adapter and
    ethernet adapter of the Novatech. And bingo it all seems to work fine. I
    can now share my selected folders and files between all of my three machines
    (2 Desktops and the netbook) and use the Internet from the Tiny (W98)
    machine as before the original crash. I reckon that there must have been
    something corrupted after the previous XP reinstall.
    Mind you I still have all digits crossed. :)

    Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°11 + on desktop, Aug 14, 2011
  10. Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°11 + on desktop

    James Egan Guest

    Glad you got it sorted. Finally! :)

    Jim

    James Egan, Aug 19, 2011
  11. Thanks Jim. I think it's time that I invested in a proper back up system
    after a couple of XP crashes within a few months, so have bought Acronis
    True Image Home 2011 at their bargain knock down price of about £23. have
    installed it and have also got a Toshiba STOR.E ART 3 500 GB 2.5" usb
    portable hard drive for storing the backup. Having fun, not exactly,
    trying to set it all up. Have you any experience with the Acronis basckk up
    system? I'm told that it is very straight forward to set up, but the
    manual has loads of techie speak terminology that I'm trying to get my head
    round.

    Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°11 + on desktop, Aug 20, 2011
  12. Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°11 + on desktop

    James Egan Guest

    I've never used it but it seems to be well regarded.

    Jim

    James Egan, Aug 22, 2011
  13. I can't get it to do what I want, so I reckon there must be something I'm
    doing wrong, but can't for the life of me see what it could possibly be.

    Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°11 + on desktop, Aug 22, 2011