Problem with Security Certificates also Windows Update software problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Happy, Jan 17, 2005.

  1. Happy

    Happy Guest

    Of late, my computer has been having a problem with Security Certificates.
    When I go to some web sites, I get a notice saying:

    Security Alert. The Security Certificate was
    issued by a company you have not chosen to trust.

    I view the Security Certificate, and install it. But the alerts keep coming up.
    BTW, under certification path, it says;
    This certificate cannot be verified up to a trusted certification authority.

    Can anyone help me?

    Also, I don't know if this is part of the problem, but when I go to the
    Microsoft Windows Update web site, it comes back with;

    Software Update Incomplete The Windows Update software did not update successfully.

    I have no idea why I am having these problems.

    One thing; I had tried a program; BPS Popup & Cookie Shield & Ad Blocker,
    but removed it because I did not like the way it works.

    I am now using Stopzilla.

    Happy, Jan 17, 2005

  2. Hi user,

    coming up.

    This may be caused from your Internet Explorer security setup - if you (or
    the program you installed before) have changed the security step, these
    certificates couldnt be installed even if you agree - just try to change
    your security options...
    afaik this has nothing to do with your problem, it is simply a hint that the
    company which uses this certificate is not a proven menber like e.g.
    microsoft or Adobe...

    Have a nice one!

    Markus

    Markus Scheible, Jan 17, 2005

  3. Happy

    Duane Arnold Guest

    The above means that the certificate is not a certifiable certificate from
    a company such as VerSign or others that provide such services. It means
    the browser goes to a Website such as VerSign to verify that the
    certificate used by a Web site was issued by a security company.

    http://www.verisign.com/

    Web sites may not have the $$$$ for a VerSign certificate or certificates
    from other security companies and there is nothing wrong with that. The Web
    site is doing certificate authentication with their certificate and that's
    a good thing.
    You can try stopping all programs that are running and try the update
    again. It could be some program is holding on to resources that the update
    wants to use, but it cannot complete the update because of the conflict. It
    may or many not work for you.
    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 17, 2005
  4. Happy

    ng_reader Guest

    Me too,

    Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q174360 was supposed to fix it.

    It didn't.

    I'm thinking of un-installing IE and then re-installing it.

    But, frankly, you get what you pay for, and, IE is free. Of course.

    software did not update successfully.

    ng_reader, Jan 17, 2005
  5. Happy

    Happy Guest

    Register dll files:
    ===================
    1. Quit all programs that are running.

    2. Click Start, and then click Run. Please type the following command one by one and click Ok for each command:

    REGSVR32 SOFTPUB.DLL
    REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL
    REGSVR32 WINTRUST.DLL
    REGSVR32 INITPKI.DLL