    as a .bmp??

    Any ideas?

    Im using IE 6.0 w/ win XP

    puffy, Nov 30, 2003

  2. puffy

    °Mike° Guest

    Close your browser and empty the temporary internet files
    cache, from Control Panel / Internet Options. Be sure to
    check the box to 'Include all offline content'.

    °Mike°, Nov 30, 2003

  3. puffy

    Mcploppy © Guest

    puffy bashed at the keyboard and said:
    Delete the temporary internet files by selecting Tools, Internet Options,
    General tab and select the Delete Files button.

    HTH
    --
    McPloppy ©

    { Remove both MyShoes to email me }
    { Homepage: http://tinyurl.com/bbel }
    { My Alternative Site: http://tinyurl.com/rynb }

    Mcploppy ©, Nov 30, 2003
  4. puffy

    puffy Guest

    Oh wow, thanks it worked!!

    do I always have to empty my temp internet file folders/?

    puffy, Nov 30, 2003
  5. puffy

    °Mike° Guest

    It's pointless keeping temporary internet files across sessions,
    unless you visit the same sites, *and* the contents of those
    site do *not* change. Set Internet Explorer to empty the
    cache on exit. On the 'Advanced' tab, check 'Empty Temporary
    Internet Files folder when browser is closed.

    °Mike°, Nov 30, 2003
  6. Not really. Even if the content of a page changes there are usually
    components of the page that are cachable over months. Caching things
    like button-images, logos, backgrounds etc can make a significant
    difference.

    Ephraim Gadsby, Dec 1, 2003
  7. puffy

    °Mike° Guest

    That is irrelevant, since if the contents change, the whole page
    has to be refreshed, defeating the object of keeping the
    cache.

    °Mike°, Dec 1, 2003

  8. Refreshing a page does not alway involve downloading all of it. A
    browser can simply check with the server that it's cached copy of each
    object is up-to-date.

    If you don't believe me, try creating a simple page with some text,
    and an image that takes a significant amount of time to load, and
    upload it to a web server. You will find that the image is cached
    between sessions even if you change the other content of the html. The
    same is true for many of the graphical elements that make-up the look
    and feel of websites.

    Fast broad band connections are limited more by round-trip times, but
    on a dial-up connect it can make a significant difference.

    Ephraim Gadsby, Dec 2, 2003
  9. puffy

    °Mike° Guest

    Untrue (sort of). It entirely depends on what you have set
    Internet Explorer to do in the TIF settings. I am on dial-up,
    and I do *not* experience any significant gain by keeping
    the cached files. Also, incomplete, or damaged files can
    totally ruing a browsing session on dial-up - another reason
    not to keep them across sessions.

    °Mike°, Dec 2, 2003
  10. The TIF setting are to do with checking for updates, they have no
    effect on the browser's ability to fetch unmodified objects from
    cache.

    Whether or not a page loads faster depends on the page, it can be
    minutes different for flash sites.

    Ephraim Gadsby, Dec 3, 2003
  11. puffy

    °Mike° Guest

    The TIFs *are* the cache! Set it to check on every visit, and
    it *will* have an effect.
    Again, my point was, and is, that there is no point keeping
    a cache, unless you visit the same sites regularly, and the
    contents do not change.

    °Mike°, Dec 3, 2003

  12. You do don't seem to understand two key concepts here

    1. Even when a page changes substantially it is not neccessary to
    refetch all the page's content - only the obects that has changed.
    Very few pages are pure monolithic HTML.

    2. There is a distinction between checking for updates and refetching.

    Lets say you have your TIF settings set to "check on every visit" and
    you re-open an html page with 5 banner ads, 3 fancy buttons and a
    flash logo . Now when a page like that is updated it will typically be
    just the html that changes.

    The browser will refetch the changed html file, it will then check the
    graphical elements, find they haven't changed, and fetch them from
    cache, it does *not* need to download them to do this. If you keep the
    cache you will have downloaded 1 object - without the cache you need
    to download 10.

    Ephraim Gadsby, Dec 6, 2003