Problem with reassigning drive letter to DVD combo drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jimmy Dean, May 23, 2007.

  1. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    Have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 mobo with WinXP Pro SP2

    Has one IDE controller to which are connected a DVD burner (Master)
    and DVD-combo driver (Slave).

    The DVD burner I can reassign to X: and it sticks. When I reassign the
    DVD combo drive to Z:, it only lasts until the next reboot, then it
    reverts to the natural assignment I:

    Strangely reassigned Z: stuck when the PC was first setup but the
    problem only started after I changed the CPU fan control mode in the
    BIOS from Auto to Intel QST.

    The other odd thing about the two drives is that there is no Recording
    tab in their Properties dialogues.

    Any clues on this one??

    thanks

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, May 23, 2007

  2. Jimmy Dean

    Ron Martell Guest

    For the no recording tab issue see the following article in the
    Microsoft Knowledge Base:

    CD-R drive or CD-RW drive is not recognized as a recordable device
    Article ID : 316529
    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=316529

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, May 23, 2007

  3. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    Thanks, that works.

    Noted HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices lists \DosDevices\C:
    etc. and changes if a drive letter is reassigned i.e. \DosDevices\I:
    becomes \DosDevices\Z: for example (but still resets after reboot)
    jd

    Jimmy Dean, May 24, 2007
  4. Jimmy Dean

    Ron Martell Guest

    Do you have any "system security" software installed? Some of these
    products take it onto themselves to be judge and jury as to what is a
    wanted changed and what is unwanted. So it could be that a do-gooder
    security application is undoing your changes on the pretext of
    protecting your system. Spybot Search and Destroy's Tea Timer does
    this sort of thing, as do a lot of others.

    Ron Martell, May 24, 2007
  5. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    No just AV and firewall + Windows Defender and IE7.
    That's interesting. Odd that it happens for the DVD combo but not the
    DVD-RAM.

    I upgraded the BIOS to latest F11 (was F10) and did not enable Intel
    QST but this did not fix the problem.

    BTW do you know of any good motherboard monitor software to monitor
    temps, volts and fan RPM for recent mainboards. MBM 5.3.7.0 does not
    give sensible readings for many of these?

    TIA

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, May 25, 2007
  6. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    Apparently the problem was due to ZoneAlarm 7.

    The solution was to uninstall ZA and reboot.

    Then change the drive assignment as desired.

    Reinstall ZA.

    Power OFF/ON => drive reassignment holds.

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, May 28, 2007