    about half a minute and then just stops.

    Any help/info is greately appreciated!

    Maurice

    Maurice, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Sounds like a typical media problem, never used DataWrite
    but Princo's are typically bad for the Panny E series.

    Darrel :)

    Darrel Christenson, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Maurice

    Mac Breck Guest

    So which DVD-R discs are known to be good, and which are the
    worst which should be avoided at all costs?

    Mac Breck, Nov 27, 2003
  4. Ritek usually gets a good thumbs up from most people
    and I've had pretty good luck with them. Picked up
    some TDK's on sale locally a week or so ago at Best
    Buy and they seem to be behaving as well and a
    Panasonic tech recommended TDK as well when had them
    on the phone one day with a question.

    Darrel :)

    Darrel Christenson, Nov 27, 2003
  5. Maurice

    Mac Breck Guest

    I'll have to check out the TDK's. Recently had a U11 error
    with some Maxells (Orange label on box, general purpose) in
    my DMr-E30s. Previously, I only got a U11 with Pioneer 4X
    discs.

    Mac Breck, Nov 27, 2003
  6. Never had a number code error on my E50, once in a great
    while it'll reject a disc on insert or the copy will fail
    a couple mins into the recording but the next disc in the
    stack always worked so it's just minor media variations.

    Once interesting note, the few discs that get rejected by
    the E50 work fine in my Pioneer pc burner.

    Darrel :)

    Darrel Christenson, Nov 27, 2003
  7. Maurice

    Mac Breck Guest

    Alright, I have a dumb question. What does it mean when a
    DVD is labeled "for authoring"
    e.g.
    http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Section_Id=1&Product_Id=752318

    ....or...

    "non-authoring" e.g.

    TDK DVD-R Media 4.7GB for Data- General Use 10 Pack
    (non-authoring)

    ???

    I'm using a Panasonic DMR-E30s in my A/V system, *not* a
    DVD-R burner in my PC.

    Mac Breck, Nov 27, 2003
  8. Maurice

    Mac Breck Guest

    Once it started "U11 failing" with Pioneer 4X discs (extras
    from a cake box I bought for somebody else who was making
    some discs for me, and who has a DVD burner in his PC), it
    failed with almost every Pioneer 4X DVD-R I tried. It reads
    the Pioneer 4X's that the guy made for me perfectly fine.
    It just won't record on them 95% of the time. It then
    failed with a Maxell General Purpose (orange box label).
    Previously, I'd never had a problem with the Maxells. I
    burned all of Crusade and all of Brimstone to them on XP, 26
    discs without a problem.

    <fingers crossed> So far, I've never had a problem with
    Panasonic or Memorex DVD-Rs, or Panasonic DVD-RAMs.
    </fingers crossed>

    When I get the U11, my DMR-E30s does not want to give up the
    disc. The DMR-E30s tries to reset itself (can't remember
    the exact word displayed), and the drawer does not want to
    open. I have to reset it by holding the On/Off button in,
    letting it reset and start to read the disc, and then press
    "Open" on the unit while it's attempting to read the bad
    DVD-R, and that doesn't always work the first time. I was
    almost to the point of taking it in for warranty repair, but
    it always records fine with Panasonic and Memorex DVD-Rs,
    and Panasonic DVD-RAMs (the only DVD-RAMs I've tried). I
    don't know if the DMR-E30s is going bad, or if it's just a
    variation in the quality of the media (i.e. Maxell DVD-Rs
    *used to* work.). The trouble is that the DMR-E30s is my
    workhorse unit, and I don't want to take it in until I can
    buy a 2nd recorder (looking at the DMR-E80H and DMR-HS2).

    DMR-E80H
    http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sh...rue&active=1&ModelNo=DMR-E80H&CategoryId=2596

    ....or...

    DMR-HS2
    http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/shop/NewDesign/ModelTemplate.asp?ModelID=18209&CategoryId=2596

    I like the DMR-HS2 better because of the front mounted
    controls (joystick), which means that if the remote dies,
    you're not S.O.L.

    Mac Breck, Nov 27, 2003
  9. CAM will probably jump in here at some point and read you the
    riot act, technically the E series is 1x media only. I've
    used "up to 2x" labled TDK's with no problem and some people
    have used 4x w/o ever a single problem. I think it's unit
    manufacturing run specific, yours just may be one of the ones
    fussy about 4x.
    I'd say media, I was working through a 50 stack of Ritek 1x
    and about halfway through they all started ejecting or being
    stuck in the unit. Put those aside for use on the pc and
    the next stack of Riteks I already had and the TDKs have
    all been perfect.

    Darrel :)

    Darrel Christenson, Nov 27, 2003
  10. Maurice

    Mac Breck Guest

    I thought 4X would be equal to or greater than 2X in
    quality, and 2X would be equal to or greater than 1X in
    quality. Never suspected that 1X would have a greater
    probability of working on a DMR-E30s than a 2X or 4X.

    I'm rather gun shy of putting any of my remaining 9 Maxell
    DVD-Rs in the unit. Don't need any more pretty coasters.

    Mac Breck, Nov 27, 2003
  11. Maurice

    Eric Guest

    This thread long ago left the vcr realm, no? Why is it still being
    crossposted to alt.video.vcr ??

    Eric, Nov 27, 2003