Problem with OE8 - Everything went very small

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ian Jackson, Jul 30, 2009.

  1. Ian Jackson

    Ian Jackson Guest

    I'm using OE8 and, this morning, I suddenly became I aware that, on all
    websites, everything was being displayed at around 1/3rd normal size -
    text, images - everything.

    I looked at 'View', Text Size', and everything seemed normal. Changing
    the text size had little effect. I tried changing the 'encoding'
    settings (right-click, half way down the menu), but this didn't help.
    Same with toggling the 'Compatibility View' button.

    I've also got Apple Safari available as a browser, and this seemed OK.

    While it was really only OE which had very obviously 'gone wrong', I
    felt that that the icons on the task bar were maybe just a fraction
    smaller than usual - but I might have been mistaken.

    I checked the Display settings (in Control Panel), and screen resolution
    was normal (1280 x 1024).

    The only thing I could think of which may have upset OE was that I had
    just been on the Streetmap website, and had been changing the size and
    scale of the displayed map. The new version of Streetmap is often very
    sluggish, and can get confused at times. I went back into Streetmap,
    'played around a bit', but I couldn't find anything to correct the size
    of the display.

    A re-boot didn't help.

    I couldn't think of anywhere else where I should look in order to find
    something to re-adjust the OE display back to normal, so I took the easy
    option, and tried a System Restore (fortunately there was an automatic
    SR yesterday). Everything came back to normal.

    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what DID go wrong? And what
    should I really have done to fix things?

    Ian Jackson, Jul 30, 2009

  2. Ian Jackson

    NormanM Guest

    Really? Outlook Express development stopped at 6.
    OIC. You meant IE8 (aka, "Internet Explorer 8")!
    Aside from learning not to confuse the email client (OE is, "Outlook
    Express") with your browser ("Internet Explorer" is "IE")? Check your
    display settings for icon size and font size.

    NormanM, Jul 30, 2009

  3. Ian Jackson

    VanguardLH Guest

    Ian Jackson wrote:

    <edit - Replace OE8 with IE8. OE (Outlook Express) is an e-mail client,
    not a web browser, and its last version was 6.>
    Do you use a non-standard Windows theme? Do you use any 3rd party
    theming utilities, like WindowBlinds?

    If it happens again, try running IE8 in its no add-ons mode. If the
    problem goes away, you installed an add-on that causes the problem. If
    that doesn't help, try resetting IE8 (Internet Options -> Advanced tab).

    VanguardLH, Jul 30, 2009
  4. Ian Jackson

    Ian Jackson Guest

    Of course I did! I've often seen others put OE when they meant IE
    ("silly people!", I thought) but I never thought I'd be one of them!

    Actually, I don't use OE as such.
    See above!
    I had actually checked the 'Display Properties' font size (it was
    'Normal'), but I hadn't gone into 'Advanced Appearance' and checked the
    Icon size (back-to-normal, it's 32) and Font (Aerial, 10). I'll remember
    to do this if the problem re-occurs.

    Ian Jackson, Jul 30, 2009
  5. Ian Jackson

    Ian Jackson Guest

    I'm using IE8 essentially 'as downloaded', and I've only enabled the
    Menu, Favourites, Command and Status toolbars. I haven't bothered with
    the add-on bits (in 'Manage Add-ons'), but I note that the first half
    are disabled, and the second half are enabled. I don't know what most of
    them are, but I've never changed anything (knowingly).

    Also, I hadn't knowingly changed any of the Internet Options 'Advanced'
    settings. But I see the 'Restore Advanced Settings' button, and will try
    that if the problem re-occurs.

    I have to confess that, while certainly not being 'computer illiterate',
    I tend not to delve into areas where I don't need to go. I suppose that
    the occasional problem, provided it is readily soluble, does help to
    broaden your horizons!

    Thanks for the help.

    Ian Jackson, Jul 30, 2009