Problem with new Belkin Pre-N router

Discussion in 'Network Routers' started by Danisoid, Dec 20, 2004.

  1. Danisoid

    Danisoid Guest

    Hi,
    I have installed a brand new Belkin Pre-N router that I use with a variety
    of network cards: Belkin 54g, MN-720 54g, some other USB products 11b. I use
    both XP SP2 and W2000, and the router configuration is left standard except
    for security handled through MAC Address restrictions.
    While this router really rocks, on a weekly basis I have this phenomenon
    where the wireless connections drop in performance and finally get dropped
    without any warning. It seems like the router gets overloaded and cannot
    handle wireless connections while cable connections remain active. The only
    way I have right now to restore the situation is to either switch the router
    off, or resetting it through the configuration software. After that
    operations things get back to normal at full speed.
    Does any one has a clue about that issue?
    I checked the Belkin web site unsuccessfully.
    It really bothers me because this router really expand my signal range
    great, beyond my expectations.

    Thanks,
    Danisoid

    Danisoid, Dec 20, 2004

  2. Danisoid -

    I've had the Belkin F5D8230-4 Pre-N router up and running for about 6 weeks
    now, and it has been 100% rock solid. I've pumped a LOT of data through
    it -- massive downloads from wired and wireless pc's, as well as large data
    transfers across my WLAN from wired to wireless segments and vice versa. So
    far not a single hiccup, and I haven't had to reboot it for any reason
    either. I've been using this with 4 wired pc's, a wireless pc with a Belkin
    Pre-N adapter, and a wireless laptop with the Pre-N card also. I also used
    it for a while with my old DLink laptop and pc cards, and it worked great.

    I wonder if the MAC filtering code has some kind of memory leak in the
    router? That's all that's different between our setups (I believe). Have you
    considering trying it without MAC filtering turned on? Not ideal, but it
    might shed light on the issue.

    Also: have you called Belkin support? I would certainly give them a try.

    I haven't tried MAC restrictions - so that's one thing different in our
    setups.

    A shame you're experiencing this - the router has been incredible for me -
    better than anything else I've seen in the market to date.

    - Jon

    Jonathan Strong, Dec 20, 2004

  3. Danisoid

    Danisoid Guest

    Thanks Jonathan,
    I agree it is an awesome piece of hardware when it works.
    Before MAC access control, I also used WEP 128bits but the results were the
    same, NO even worst as the key was resetted at the card level (???? do not
    ask me how) forcing me rekey them in each time to reconnect.
    I have not tried the belkin "human" support yet, but it probably already
    know the answer they will give me......"it must be your cards which are not
    Belkin pre-N", so this will be my last option.
    Thanks
    Dan

    Danisoid, Dec 20, 2004
  4. Danisoid

    Misiek Guest

    Note that WEP128 is not covered by WiFi logo. Therefore its interportability
    is not guaranteed. On the other hand WEP64 and WPA are covered. You maight
    want to try these.

    Misiek

    Misiek, Dec 20, 2004
  5. Danisoid

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    Does the wireless pre-N card come with WPA software for win98se? I have
    an older I7500 laptop in which I am currently using WEP 128.

    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Dec 20, 2004
  6. Danisoid

    Malke Guest

    Harvey - the laptop's hardware would have to also support WPA. If the
    wireless hardware is older, it won't be available to you on the laptop.

    Malke

    Malke, Dec 20, 2004
  7. To be honest I've not experienced any problems with the router which i use
    as a WAP with its modem.

    Daniel

    Daniel Bennett, Dec 20, 2004
  8. Danisoid

    Misiek Guest

    Unfortunatly no. Belkin software does not inlude WPA support. One needs to
    use XP or some third party software for WPA. Moreover, there is no support
    for win98 at all. Only 2000 and XP.

    Misiek

    Misiek, Dec 21, 2004
  9. Hopefully Belkin will release WPA support in an update to the driver for
    their cards, although I don't know if they'll bother for an older version of
    Windows at this point...

    Jonathan Strong, Dec 23, 2004
  10. I know have the Pre-N router, the pre-N laptop card and the pre-N pci
    desktop card (which is just a pci card which provides a card slot II port
    for pre-n laptop card that comes with it!)

    Apart from initial problems setting them(me forgetting to add their mac
    addresses onto the router! ) they work great.

    WPA support is entirely taken from Windows, the card config utility only
    supports WEP. However using Windows wireless management you get WPA support.
    Looking at the instructions, it does say Windows 2000/XP only.

    kind regards,

    Daniel

    Daniel Bennett, Dec 23, 2004