    Anyway it's gone wrong again and the common factor between these two occurrences is that shortly before I'd turned off the mains power to do some work.

    Following advice earlier in the thread I've now tried to log in to the router to see what it's up to and I cannot do it. I had a go at doing this a couple of days ago when all was working and got in fine so it's not the I don't know how to do it!

    I reckon it's something to do with having turned off the mains - could this upset the router? It's a Technicolour one from PlusNet.

    Murmansk, Jan 7, 2015

  2. My best guess would be that if it's intermittent with no obvious
    cause, it could be nothing more than a dodgy connection, particularly
    sinc you mention IDC connections on the back of the faceplate. ADSL
    and VDSL use radio frequencies, so sometimes one leg of the wiring can
    be completely broken and there may still be enough signal for the
    modem to lock onto, even though there is no DC continuity. If the
    level of this signal were borderline, it could explain why it only
    works sometimes. I can't remember if it's been suggested already, but
    you could try connectimg a phone, through a filter of course, to the
    socket you normally use for the modem/router, and seeing if that
    performs normally. The phone will use lower frequencies so a break in
    the wire would affect it quite differently.

    It's unlikely that turning off the modem/router could make it lose the
    signal unless something was, as I suggested, "borderline". If all is
    good, it should boot up and recover normal operation in about a minute
    or less, every time.

    If your Technicolor modem/router is the same one my ISP provided for
    me (TG582n), then its IP address is either 192.168.1.254 or 10.0.0.138
    (no, I don't know why it has two, but they both work), and mine
    doesn't ask for a password, though if yours does, you could try
    "password" or "pass" or "1234" which are common defaults. Mine is
    being used simply as a router with a separate VDSL modem, but it also
    contains an ADSL modem, so if yours is configured for ADSL I think it
    shows the connection speed and a few other things, so it should be
    possible to check for an actual connection and compare performance
    with it plugged into different sockets. There are also speed test
    websites such as www/speedtest.net which you can use, when it is
    working, to check if the performance is affected. Good luck.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jan 7, 2015

  3. Jonathan Mack

    Graham J Guest

    So how did you post your message?

    Try this:

    1) Connect the computer to the router using an Ethernet cable

    2) Check the light on the router relating to the LAN port used for that
    Ethernet cable - does it suggest that there is something connected to it?

    3) Look at the "notification area" on the computer screen. Does it
    suggest that there is a network connection, and is this connection OK or
    faulty?

    4) Open a command window on the computer. (If you need help with this,
    ask again.) Type the command:

    ipconfig /all

    Review all the output, and tell us whether it sugggests there is a LAN
    connection; and if so the IP address allocated to the computer, and the
    IP address shown for "Default Gateway".

    5) In the command window type:

    ping <the address shown for the default gatesway>

    Are there good reliable replies?

    6) Open your web browser at <the address shown for the default gatesway>

    Does the router ask for a username and password? If so, provide the
    correct responses, referring to the documentation from Plusnet.

    Tell us exactly where this procedure fails.

    Try again, having left the power off the router for 10 minutes.

    If you have another router, try that.

    Graham J, Jan 7, 2015
  4. Jonathan Mack

    NY Guest

    I think the Technicolor routers that PN supply usually have a unique
    password which is the same as the router's serial number on the sticker on
    the base (the serial number, not the Wifi network name or WPA key. From
    memory, I think the serial number is two letters followed by several digits.

    Finding the screen that shows noise margin etc on a Technicolor router is
    not intuitive: I always have to hunt for it for ages whereas its fairly
    obvious on Netgear, Dlink and Belkin routers.

    NY, Jan 7, 2015
  5. Jonathan Mack

    Murmansk Guest

    I'm currently online on my tablet tethered to my mobile phone

    I rang PlusNet who got me to ping the router without success etc. In the end they said they'd make an adjustment on the line and asked me to wait 4 hours then reboot the router and try again.

    Murmansk, Jan 7, 2015
  6. Jonathan Mack

    Martin Brown Guest

    If you can't ping your own router from your PC then there is something
    fundamentally wrong with the PC to router connection. That should still
    work even when the outside world is dead in the water with no sync.

    What does ipconfig/all show (done in a DOS box) ?

    Martin Brown, Jan 7, 2015
  7. Jonathan Mack

    NY Guest

    I'd be very surprised if anything that an ISP could do by way of tweaking
    the phone line would have any effect on the ability of a PC to ping the
    router. Over Ethernet, a PC should be able to ping the router on its gateway
    address even if the broadband WAN connection is faulty or the phone line is
    disconnected. If that's not working and the router's Ethernet light and/or
    the PC's network status icon don't show a working PC-router connection, then
    I'd suspect router or PC.

    Has the OP been able to check with a different PC and a different Ethernet
    cable to eliminate first the less likely causes before getting PN to replace
    the router? I've found that PN are very ready to replace duff routers (if
    it's their own Technicolor one), charging you only a few quid for the post
    and packing.

    NY, Jan 7, 2015
  8. Jonathan Mack

    Roger Mills Guest

    But he did say - right at the start - that he had a Clarity filtered
    faceplate, so he almost certainly will have both filtered and unfiltered
    IDC connectors on the back of his faceplate.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Jan 7, 2015
  9. Your router or theirs?

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jan 7, 2015
  10. Jonathan Mack

    Rodney Pont Guest

    It's possible, although unlikely, that the mains didn't come back on
    cleanly and the router didn't startup properly. If it's anything like
    my Technicolor it has a power button on the back. The first thing to
    try, always, is switch it off for about 10 seconds with this button and
    then back on. Give it a couple of minutes to boot back up and watch
    what the lights do. It's always useful to know what the lights do in
    the startup sequence so that you can tell if anything is different.

    Rodney Pont, Jan 7, 2015
  11. Jonathan Mack

    Murmansk Guest

    I think I have reached some sort of answer.

    After I'd spoken to PlusNet the first time and waited 4 hours it still would not work so I rang back. The adjustment they'd made was related to signalto noise ratio.

    Anyway, a very helpful man gave lots of thought to it and we tried to ping the router and tried to ping google on 8.8.8.8 all to no avail. When I did ipconfig in a cmd box the default gateway came up as a subtly different IP address from what it should have been.

    We eventually concluded the router might be at fault and agreed he'd ring me back tomorrow.

    BUT afterwards I discovered the source of the problem - I have another TP link mini router thing that's downstairs on the end of a long Ethernet cableand acts as a booser for my Wi-Fi down there. The IP address appearing as my default gateway was the one of THAT router!!

    I unplugged the Ethernet cable to that mini router from the main router andall worked as it should!!!

    This whole problem started out when I turned the mains power off and on again. Both of these routers are connected to the same ring main so I reckon it's something to do with one of them starting faster than the other and that confusing things?!

    Murmansk, Jan 7, 2015
  12. Jonathan Mack

    Murmansk Guest

    So having thought about it further I seem to have a situation where my "other" router's IP address had got its way into the computer's settings as being my default gateway and that router relies on the main router to connect to the internet.

    How would this be prevented from happening again? Seems to me it would be good practice, next time I turn the power off, to disconnect the second router and only connect it once the main router has got itself going successfully.

    Murmansk, Jan 7, 2015
  13. Jonathan Mack

    Andy Burns Guest

    on again. Both of these routers are connected to the same ring main so I
    reckon it's something to do with one of them starting faster than the
    other and that confusing things?!

    Connect directly via an ethernet cable to the TPlink, log into it and
    disable its DHCP server, then connect stuff back as it was ...

    Andy Burns, Jan 7, 2015
  14. Jonathan Mack

    Murmansk Guest

    Connect directly via an ethernet cable to the TPlink, log into it and
    disable its DHCP server, then connect stuff back as it was ... <

    Ah ha, right, will do, thanks!

    Murmansk, Jan 7, 2015
  15. Jonathan Mack

    Roger Mills Guest

    Like he says. You've obviously got two devices configured to act as DHCP
    servers - with it being pot luck as to which one gets in first. This is
    a disaster waiting to happen - and clearly *has* happened.

    Before re-connecting this other device to your network, connect a PC
    directly to it with an ethernet cable and disable its DHCP server. And
    make sure that its own IP address doesn't conflict with anything your
    main router is likely to dish out.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Jan 7, 2015
  16. This is what is known in the context of mystery drama plots as a "deus
    ex machina". It shows the value of giving all relevant detail, and any
    other detail requested by those who are trying to help you.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jan 7, 2015