Problem with Linksys WRT610N Router

Discussion in 'Network Routers' started by Boyd Colglazier, Aug 1, 2012.

  1. I am having a problem using a USB storage device with a Linksys WRT610N
    router. The router is connected to a Dell Inspiron 620 computer running
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and a Dell Dimension 8300 computer running
    Windows XP Professional (both connections are wired) and a Dell XPS17 laptop
    running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit (wireless). The USB drive is a Seagate
    FreeAgent 500 gig drive. The router was originally connected only to the
    Dell computer running Windows XP Professional. The router worked fine with
    the XP machine except that when writing to the attached drive I would
    occasionally get an unable to write message because of a device I/O error. I
    added a new Windows 7 machine to the network and still got the occasional
    write error messages. I updated the router firmware to the most recent
    version. That eliminated the write error messages but created a new problem.
    Using my Windows 7 machine I can create a new folder on the drive and then
    delete that folder. However, if I copy files to the new folder and then try
    to delete the folder I receive a message that I do not have the necessary
    permissions. I can delete the individual files from the folder and then I
    can delete the empty folder. If I access the drive from my Windows XP
    machine, I can delete the folder with the files in it. This leads me to
    believe there is some sort of compatibility issue with the router and
    Windows 7. Also, when I access the router and click on storage, I sometimes
    get a message that the attached USB disk is not supported and the shared
    partition does not show up, but I can still access the drive on the network.
    If I disconnect the disk and reconnect it that problem goes away for a short
    period of time but then comes back. This problem did not occur on either
    computer before the firmware update. With the exception of the USB storage
    device, the router is working fine. I have googled the problem without much
    luck.

    I have tried the following to solve the problem without any luck:
    Reflashed the new firmware (twice)
    Reset the router to its factory defaults
    Reformatted the drive
    Tried other hard drives with the same result

    Before I give up completely, I thought I would try the newsgroup to see is
    anyone had any suggestions (other than scrap the Linksys and buy a Netgear).

    Boyd Colglazier, Aug 1, 2012

  2. Boyd Colglazier

    Char Jackson Guest

    I have no experience with that specific router model, but I've run
    into similar issues in the past and in each case, I gave up and simply
    connected the storage drive to one of the networked PC's and shared it
    from there. Path of least resistance, if you will.

    Probably not what you're looking for, sorry. It works, though,
    assuming you leave that computer running so the drive remains
    accessible.

    Char Jackson, Aug 1, 2012

  3. Boyd Colglazier

    sa689556

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    cheap-limo-services

    I have tried the following to fix the problem without any luck:
    Reflashed the new firmware (twice)
    Reset the wi-fi wireless router to its producer defaults
    Reformatted the drive
    Tried other challenging drives with the same result

    Before I stop definitely, I considered I would try the newsgroup to see is

    sa689556, Oct 30, 2012