Problem with Libre Office and word .doc;!..

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by tony sayer, Jan 12, 2012.

  1. tony sayer

    tony sayer Guest

    Wonder if theres anyone around who uses this program at all?..

    Friend of the family uses Libre Office for most all word processing she
    needs except that shes been sent a doc thats like a "template" where you
    can or should be able to change the text thats in a differing colour.
    There are of course some graphics and logo's on that but there are
    defined or seemingly defined areas where you can add text or alter same.

    Now I have a rather olde version of wurd and that seems to do the
    necessary. However in Libre Office it seems to treat it like a graphic
    image. If you for instance right click your mouse a "crossed hairs"
    cursor with small arrows on each part of the cross comes up unlike the
    single straight upright bar that looks like a text editor one.

    Anyone any ideas what you alter in Libre office or is this a file
    compatibility problem?.

    Cheers..

    tony sayer, Jan 12, 2012

  2. tony sayer

    airsmoothed Guest

    I've not tried opening a Word form (assuming that's what it is) in LO,
    but it does seem all these free Office alternatives have some
    formatting quirks. FWIW I find IBM Lotus Symphony more compatible then
    OO or LO, so that might be worth a bash as a last resort.

    airsmoothed, Jan 12, 2012

  3. tony sayer

    Naich Guest

    Naich, Jan 12, 2012
  4. tony sayer

    Owain Guest

    Try double or multiple clicking on it - if it's a text box I think OOO
    (and thus LO) may treat it as a floatable graphic on first click, and
    need more clicks to get 'inside' it to the text

    Owain

    Owain, Jan 12, 2012
  5. That sounds not far off the mark.. I find trying to get either WORD OR
    open office to do anything 'inside a box' to be..arcane at the best.

    I can see why SWMBO likes Quark..EVERYTHING is a 'box' and that's how
    you do the entire process..whether it's a graphic or editable text.

    Word processors like WORD are in a sense the worst of all solutions:
    They do everything badly.

    'Jack of all trades, master of none'

    I either want pure editable text, with the minimum of formatting, or
    something that is formatted for HTML or really laid out properly, like
    Quark..

    The Natural Philosopher, Jan 12, 2012