    second network port and I don't get any internet access. Is there a way to
    configure the pc so that it only chooses the first network port for general
    internet and network and ignores the other one? Thanks for any help.

    tg, Sep 11, 2009

  2. You can have quite fine control if you use the command-line "route"
    command. Start by doing a "route print" and then consider "route add".

    Phil, London

    Philip Herlihy, Sep 11, 2009

  3. Hi
    In general this configuration is used to choose the preferred NIC.
    http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
    However, you really want to do is to put the second NIC and what ever it
    connects to on a different subnet.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Sep 12, 2009
  4. Both interfaces should be present. What do you mean by the PC choosing
    one? What are you seeing, other than a loss of connectivity, that leads
    you to believe the issue is from something wrong between the interfaces
    being chosen? Could you give the IP settings of the interfaces and when
    this next happens, could you run from a command prompt: route print and
    copy the output into a post here. Do you know how to copy the contents of
    a command prompt window and paste it into a windows window?

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Sep 12, 2009
  5. tg

    tg Guest

    thanks for all the response here. I managed to resolve the issue by
    purchasing a 2 port network card and installing that. Even that didn't work
    at first because the card self-installed microsoft's own (crappy old)
    drivers from 2001 but I managed to find some updated drivers for it and now
    all is peachy with both nic's working properly and internet access too.

    tg, Sep 12, 2009