    The problem is, if we remove a PC and try to connect another different PC with the same IP, the PC will not work unless the switch is reset.

    Question - Is there a way to automate this so the switch does not have to be touched each time a new PC is connected?

    Thanks.

    Tom, Sep 4, 2012

  2. Interesting odd setup.
    Most likely you have an ARP cache issue. In your little setup,
    resetting the ARP cache timer downwards to a minute or so shouldn't
    cause any issue, and then you may just have to wait a minute after you
    change the IP address on a machine.

    Or login to the switch and "clear arp".

    Doug McIntyre, Sep 4, 2012

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Thanks for the quick response Doug.

    Yes...this is a unique network aboard a ship at sea and resources are limited because of satellite communications.

    I actually was just about to set the arp timeout and saw your response. Give me more confidence now:)

    Seems this can be set on the router and the switch for this VLAN. I set both for now.

    Thanks again!

    Tom, Sep 4, 2012