    Is this the way a dial-on-demand setup normally behaves? I mean
    the part about not being able to browse except with the computer
    that did the log in?

    pimpom, Jun 16, 2009

  2. pimpom

    Mike Easter Guest

    -1- shut everything down/poweroff including the LAN switch. That may
    require unplugging the PS on the modem or the switch/router whatever it
    is
    -2- powerup the modem in PPPoE mode first and watch the little lights get
    themselves in order. It is best to have an understanding of what the
    lights actually mean while you are watching them.
    -3- powerup/ PSplugin the switch/router/whatever second and watch its
    little lights

    Attempt to use your connectivity in the fashion which you always have,
    not dial on demand.

    The tech is sorta ducking out of solving your problem. Typically a
    provider's philosophical position is that they are only responsible for
    solving connectivity to your modem for one computer and they are not
    responsible for supporting your LAN -- which is understandable since you
    aren't paying them to support your LAN.

    Mike Easter, Jun 16, 2009

  3. A LAN switch? Is that a "hub"? Get a router instead, and use all four
    computers at the same time.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 16, 2009
  4. pimpom

    Mike Easter Guest

    I suspect s/he is using that switch term for what some call a residential
    gateway and others call a router. A LAN NAT device with the lan on one
    side and the wan on the other side.

    I find the definitions between some complex hubs and some 'routers' which
    are residential gateways and some 'switches' as the marketer calls them
    to be confusing.

    If you really want to know what one (switch, gateway, router, hub) does,
    you have to know its name and modelno and look up its specs and technical
    info.

    Mike Easter, Jun 16, 2009
  5. pimpom

    John Holmes Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    If, like the OP said, it worked before, his modem *is* a router and
    acting as a DHCP server. Connecting the LAN port to a switch or hub gives
    him internet access on all computers attached to the LAN.

    HTH

    John Holmes, Jun 16, 2009
  6. pimpom

    Mike Easter Guest

    What is the brand & modelno of the modem?

    What is the brand and modelno of the switch?

    .... just to tidy up a few unknown details.

    Mike Easter, Jun 16, 2009
  7. OP said, "by connecting the modem output to a LAN switch." which to me
    indicates a second piece of hardware. Also, the phrase "sharing it
    between four computers" conceivably could mean 'all at once' or 'one at
    a time.' Using a "hub" would be just one at a time.

    Only the OP can clarify what he meant with his first post. :)

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 16, 2009
  8. pimpom

    John Holmes Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    Well, let's wait what he's got to say then.
    ;-)

    John Holmes, Jun 16, 2009
  9. pimpom

    Mike Easter Guest

    I agree.
    Good.

    Mike Easter, Jun 16, 2009
  10. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    Did those, many times, before I posted my question. I'm not a
    complete noob with computers, though obviously not an expert.
    Also done that many times. The modem logs on to the server and
    gets assigned an IP address. Only, I cannot open any website.
    Of course not.

    pimpom, Jun 16, 2009
  11. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    An 8-port 10/100 Mbps switch.
    That's an alternative setup and I know about it. My question
    really was whether it is normal to not be able to connect via the
    switch with computers other than the one that dialed in (in
    dial-on-demand configuration).

    pimpom, Jun 16, 2009
  12. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    As I said in my reply to Beauregard, the modem's ethernet output
    is connected to the uplink port of a 10/100 Mbps switch, and all
    four computers are connected to the other ports of the switch.

    This is a home setup using a single-user connection to my house
    over a dedicated phone line.

    pimpom, Jun 16, 2009
  13. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    Yes, it's been working this way for over a year now.

    pimpom, Jun 16, 2009
  14. So it is actually a router. Brand and model (as Mr Easter asked)?
    I don't understand why - with a DSL connection - you would need to
    "dial." People whom I know who use DSL, have a connection that is on
    all the time. Well .. most all the time, as a lot of DSL services are
    apparently flaky bits.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 16, 2009
  15. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    Sorry about the late replies, everyone. My ISP has been down for
    the past several hours as it often does (and please don't tell me
    to change ISPs - there are no others in my area). I'm posting
    this with a dial-up account that I've kept alive for times like
    this.

    Yes, the switch is a separate piece of hardware. I'm not sure if
    the modem is a router. It was supplied by my ISP and the manual
    in the driver CD that came with it refers to an entirely
    different model. It's a Siemens C2110 and it has my ISP's logo
    printed (not pasted) on it - probably a basic model ordered in
    bulk by my ISP.

    I've been using my connection with all four computers at the same
    time.

    pimpom, Jun 16, 2009
  16. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    Please see my reply to Beauregard.

    pimpom, Jun 16, 2009
  17. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    A Siemens C2110 with the logo of my ISP printed (not pasted) on
    it.
    An old 8-port 10/100 Mbps Dax DX-508PS that I've been using for
    years, long before broadband was available here.

    pimpom, Jun 16, 2009
  18. pimpom

    Mike Easter Guest

    It would be useful to distinguish whether you can access something by its
    IP address but you can't get name resolution.

    Try this link on that connectivity:

    http://209.68.27.16

    That is an IP address which will access the IP chicken whatismyip
    webserver and display your IP.

    If you can do that, but not get name resolution to something like
    http://www.ipchicken.com/ then there is some kind of problem with the way
    the DNS is being handled.

    Mike Easter, Jun 16, 2009
  19. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    An old Dax DX-508PS that I've been using for years to connect
    varying numbers of computers in my home, since long before we had
    broadband in my area.
    As I said at the beginning, I've been using an "always on" setup
    for over a year. It was only today that my ISP's head tech
    suggested using dial-on-demand.

    I've checked my modem's settings, reset it to factory defaults
    and started from scratch, and even did a hard reset of the
    firmware.

    pimpom, Jun 16, 2009
  20. pimpom

    pimpom Guest

    Can't try that now since, as I said in reply to another post, my
    broadband ISP is down now and I'm posting with a dial-up account.
    Will do it when my ISP is up again.

    pimpom, Jun 16, 2009